Don’tcha know if you are looking for cheap online therapy resources in Canada, you’re in luck.
Canadian registered psychotherapists have several online therapy options available to meet the needs of their clients. While health insurance options are available, this article will focus on cheap, free and low cost online therapy resources located in Canada.
From individual and couples therapy to group counseling and more, there are many ways to access quality mental health services from the comfort of your own home.
In this post, we’ll discuss some of Canada’s best affordable therapy network resources.
Benefits of Cheap Online Therapy
Cheap online therapy is becoming increasingly popular in Canada as a way to access mental health services.
It offers convenience, affordability, and flexibility for those who may not have the time or resources to attend traditional therapy sessions.
With cheap online therapy, individuals can access professional counseling from the comfort of their own homes, at any time that works best for them.
Benefits of Cheap Online Therapy:
- Convenience – Access professional counseling from your own home
- Affordability – Low cost compared to traditional therapy
- Flexibility – Schedule appointments at any time that works best for you
- Anonymity – Remain anonymous if desired
- Variety – Choose from a variety of different types of therapy
Is there free online therapy in Canada?
Finding free online therapy in Canada is possible if you know where to look.
There are a variety of options available, from anonymous text chat with trained listeners to virtual mental health support and even telephone counseling hotlines.
Here is a list of some of the best free and affordable online therapists available in Canada1:
- Kids Help Phone: Counseling available 24/7; free Crisis Text Line sponsored by Kids Help Phone across Canada; text “HOME” (or “PARLER” for French) to 686868
- eMentalHealth.ca (CHEO): Comprehensive database of mental health initiatives for Canadians of all ages; search for local community services and filter by age and “no fees”
- Stella’s Place: Clinical staff offers phone and video chat counseling to Toronto residents aged 16 to 29; call 416-461-2345, ext. 0, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- BeanBagChat: Free mobile app that links non-crisis youth to peer supporters and professional counselors
- Hope for Wellbeing Help Line: Provided by Canadian government, offers mental health counseling and crisis intervention in English, French, Cree, Ojibway, or Inuktitut; phone 1-855-242-3310 24/7 or use website chat box (English & French)
- Great White Wall: Financed by Ontario government and free for all Ontarians; connects likeminded people via a 24/7 mental health forum with trained practitioners moderating “talkabouts” 24/7
- Canada Suicide Prevention Service (Crisis Services Canada): Available 24/7 at 1-833-456-4566 (English & French); from 4 p.m.to midnight ET text “Start” to 45645 for help (currently only in English), but advise calling instead because online & messaging services are slow
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health: Substance use disorder helpline provincial/territorial resources provided
- ShelterSafe.ca: Clickable map of Canadian women’s shelters with most offering 24/7 personnel; also lists provincial/territorial domestic violence crisis lines
- Ending Violence Association of Canada: List of domestic abuse resource locations and phone lines across Canada
How can I get free therapy in Canada?
Finding free therapy in Canada can be a challenge, but there are many resources available to help. From government-funded hospitals and clinics to online chat services, there are options for those seeking mental health support.
Here is a list of some of the free or low-cost counseling services available in Canada2:
- Wellness Together Canada
- Together All
- BounceBack Ontario
- Crisis Services Canada
- Yellowknife Primary Care Centre
- Hope for Wellness Help Line
- Suicide & Crisis Lines (Talk Suicide Canada)
- Alcohol & Substance Abuse (L-Anon/Alateen)
- 7 Cups Connect with caring people for online therapy & counseling.
- Access CBT
- Alma Psicologia
- Anxiety Canada
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- BC Schizophrenia Society
List of Canadian Online Therapy Websites:
Here is a final list of Canadian websites that provide online therapy services for cheap or free3:
Connect with caring people for online therapy and counseling—free, anonymous, and confidential online text conversations with expert listeners, therapists, and counselors.
Wellin5 is an online therapy platform founded in British Columbia that offers inexpensive, accessible video counseling through a Canada-wide counseling network at wellin5.ca. Passionate about helping Canadians connect with highly qualified (masters-level) counseling for life-changing results.
Access CBT UK offers CBT and EMDR in Liverpool and online.
BetterHelp matches you to one of 2,000 qualified therapists. Consult your counselor for criticism, consultation, and direction. All counselors are licensed, accredited experts. BetterHelp lets you connect in a secure online environment. Anything you say is private.
Online Therapists. Need to talk? Choose who you’d like to speak.
Breaking Free Online
Breaking Free Online is an award-winning alcohol and drug treatment program.
Counselling Group (Ottawa)
Skilled therapists who employ a variety of therapeutic methods and have been educated to build good therapeutic connections with clients remotely. They’ll help you set goals and acquire support. Online counseling is delivered by Qualified Social Workers and Registered Psychotherapists who have specific training to provide online counseling while using a safe and confidential email platform built for online counseling.
Offers live (real-time) online DBT psychoeducational classes. Online DBT Course given by Debbie Corso, B.Sc., Emotional Confidence Guide, DBT Skills Trainer, in recovery from BPD and emotionally sensitive, and Kathryn C. Holt, LCSW, psychotherapist.
Online Mindfulness Therapy
Mindfulness therapy teaches you how to stop the automatic, impulsive thoughts that make you feel anxious and sad. Dr. Peter Strong
Professionals and Instructors are available 24/7. Post your needs and we will match you with the right experts.
Developing online support groups community. The mission is to bring people together around life’s issues by providing succinct, up-to-date information and meeting space for individuals, their friends and families, and professionals who can help.
If you are looking for cheap online therapy resources in Canada with a free consultation, there are plenty of options available for you!
Canadians now have more access than ever to quality mental health services without having to leave the comfort of their own homes.
So don’t hesitate – to check out these great resources today and start taking control of your mental well-being!
- How to access free mental health and emotional support during the COVID-19 crisis | CBC Life. (n.d.). CBC. https://www.cbc.ca/life/wellness/how-to-access-free-mental-health-and-emotional-support-during-the-covid-19-crisis-1.5519397
- 10 Free Mental Health Resources in Canada. (2020, December 10). Twentytwenty Arts. https://www.twentytwentyarts.com/post/10-free-mental-health-resources-in-canada-toronto
- Admin, T. (2022, December 18). E-Counselling – The LifeLine Canada Foundation. The LifeLine Canada Foundation. https://thelifelinecanada.ca/pattern-interrupt/ecounselling/