In today’s digital age, accessing mental health support has never been more convenient. Telehealth platforms, such as Doctor on Demand, have emerged as popular solutions for individuals seeking professional help without leaving their homes.
Doctor on Demand offers a range of services, from consultations with doctors, psychiatrists, and psychologists to 24/7 access to online doctors, therapists, and other medical experts. The platform is covered by employers or health plans and is available to 33 million people in the US alone.
However, many reviews note problems with Doctor on Demand (see below) and Trustpilot’s average review for Doctor on Demand is 1.4 out of 5 from 119 reviews.
Most likely, you may find better alternatives that are either cheaper or higher quality (see alternatives below). Our opinion is mixed. Doctor on Demand is overall net-positive, but it does have its flaws.
However, if you have a health insurance plan, value seeing a board-certified doctor, and prefer telemedicine, then Doctor on Demand can be a great service for you.
This blog post will provide an in-depth review of Doctor on Demand, discussing its features, benefits, costs, and more to help you make an informed decision about the best online mental health decision you can make.
The Online Mental Health Reviews team possesses the expertise and experience to write about Doctor on Demand, as our primary focus is guiding individuals through the vast array of online mental health solutions.
Doctor on Demand - Depends
Third Party Reviews
Doctor on Demand is overall net-positive and quality, but third-party reviews are low, and you may find better alternatives.
What is Doctor on Demand?
Doctor on Demand is a telehealth platform that connects users with licensed healthcare professionals, including psychologists and psychiatrists, for online consultations.
The platform aims to provide accessible, high-quality care mental health care for individuals experiencing various concerns, such as anxiety, depression, trauma, chronic care, and relationship issues.
Other Doctor-on-Demand Reviews
We invite you to read other Doctor on Demand reviews before making a decision about whether this service is for you. Please see the following authoritative reviews:
- Healthline [https://www.healthline.com/health/doctor-on-demand#takeaway] “At the end of the day, online therapy may not work for everyone, but a vast majority of reviewers consider Doctor on Demand a good solution for their mental health needs“.
- Forbes [https://www.forbes.com/health/mind/doctor-on-demand-review/] “Overall, I had a disappointing experience with Doctor on Demand. The inherent flaw of being unable to book a follow-up visit with the clinician I originally chose or an initial visit with a new therapist within a month made the entire experience ineffective.“
- Verywell Health [https://www.verywellmind.com/doctor-on-demand-online-therapy-review-4778243] “Video conferencing therapy company is efficient but not inclusive“.
- Trustpilot [https://www.trustpilot.com/review/doctorondemand.com] 1.4 average rating from 119 reviews.
- Better Business Bureau [https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-francisco/profile/telemedicine/included-health-1116-460351] 1.23 out of 5 average review scores from 62 reviews.
However, despite the less-than-glowing reviews, it’s important to note that Doctor on Demand is incredibly highly rated on both Apple and Google App Stores.
- Google – 4.8 stars from 65.4K reviews and 1M+ Downloads
- Apple – 4.9 average score from 106.9K Ratings
See how it’s mixed? While some authoritative reviews and aggregators speak negatively of Doctor on Demand, it’s important to remember that Doctor on Demand is primarily an app service and the reviews on the App Stores are very positive.
By exploring these reviews, readers can gain a better understanding of Doctor on Demand’s services and make informed decisions about whether the platform is the right choice for their healthcare needs.
Features of Doctor on Demand
Doctor on Demand offers a range of features designed to facilitate seamless access to mental health care:
- Video consultations: Users can schedule appointments with mental health professionals through secure video calls.
- User-friendly App: The platform is available on iOS and Android devices, making it easily accessible to a wide range of users.
- Appointment scheduling: Users can book appointments at their convenience, with same-day consultations often available.
- Insurance coverage: Doctor on Demand accepts many insurance plans, making it a cost-effective option for those with coverage.
Benefits of Doctor on Demand
Doctor on Demand provides several advantages for individuals seeking mental health support:
- Convenience: Users can access mental health care from the comfort of their homes, eliminating the need for travel and wait times.
- Flexibility: The platform accommodates various schedules, with appointments available during evenings and weekends.
- Confidentiality: Doctor on Demand ensures privacy by adhering to strict HIPAA guidelines and utilizing secure video technology.
- Personalized care: Mental health professionals tailor treatment plans to address each user’s unique needs and concerns.
Costs of Doctor on Demand
Doctor on Demand offers a transparent pricing structure (https://doctorondemand.com/about-us/cost/), with costs varying depending on the type of professional and session duration:
- Board Certified Clinician: $79 for a 15 min consultation
- Psychologist consultations: Fees for 25-minute sessions with a psychologist start at $129, while 50-minute sessions are priced at $179.
- Psychiatrist consultations: Initial 45-minute consultations with a psychiatrist are available for $299, with subsequent 15-minute follow-up appointments costing $129.
While these costs might seem high for some users, it is essential to consider that Doctor on Demand accepts many insurance plans, potentially reducing out-of-pocket expenses (see below).
For example, thanks to your company or insurance, it can be $0.
Here is how to do so:
- Install the app
- Sign up and make an account.
- Include your insurance details
- Before your visit, your price will be displayed
How to Get Started with Doctor on Demand
To begin using Doctor on Demand, follow these simple steps:
- Download the app on your iOS or Android device, or visit the Doctor on Demand website.
- Create an account by providing basic information, such as your name, email address, and date of birth.
- Enter your insurance information (if applicable) to determine your coverage and any potential copayments.
- Browse the list of available mental health professionals and select one based on your preferences and needs.
- Schedule an appointment at a convenient time and prepare for your consultation by listing any concerns or questions you’d like to discuss
Who Can Benefit from Doctor on Demand?
Doctor on Demand is suitable for individuals experiencing a wide range of other mental health conditions and concerns, including:
- Relationship issues
- Stress management
- Substance abuse
- Grief and loss
- Life transitions
- Preventative health plans
However, it is important to note that Doctor on Demand may not be suitable for individuals in crisis or those with severe mental health conditions requiring intensive care medical attention. In such cases, seeking immediate help through emergency services or specialized mental health facilities is recommended.
How Does Doctor on Demand Work?
Doctor on Demand is a healthcare service that provides patients with on-demand access to board-certified doctors.
Patients can use the Doctor on Demand mobile app or website to book an appointment and connect with a doctor in minutes.
During the appointment, the doctor will take your medical history and symptoms, perform an exam, and may recommend treatment including prescriptions and lab work and medication management.
The service also offers online therapy sessions for mental health care with licensed clinical social workers or therapists. All sessions are conducted via video chat, so there is no need to leave your home or the doctor’s office.
Doctor on Demand aims to improve access to affordable, patient-first healthcare by connecting you with a doctor anytime, anywhere. For more info on how Doctor on Demand works, please read https://doctorondemand.com/faqs/.
What we like about Doctor On Demand
What we like about Doctor On Demand is its convenience and affordability.
- It allows users to access quality healthcare anytime and anywhere with just a few clicks.
- Additionally, it offers competitive pricing options for both individuals and employers, making it an attractive option for those looking for affordable healthcare solutions.
What we don’t like about Doctor On Demand
- Limited availability for immediate appointments: Some users have reported difficulty in booking same-day appointments, which can be frustrating when seeking urgent care.
- Lack of inclusive features: Doctor on Demand may not cater to all cultural, linguistic, or accessibility needs, potentially limiting its appeal to a diverse range of users.
- Difficulty booking follow-up sessions: Users have experienced challenges in scheduling follow-up appointments with the same healthcare professional, which can hinder the continuity of care.
- Insurance limitations: While Doctor on Demand accepts many insurance plans, users may still face out-of-pocket expenses or find that their specific plan is not accepted.
- Not suitable for severe mental health issues: Doctor on Demand may not be well-equipped to handle severe mental health crises or complex psychiatric conditions, requiring users to seek in-person, urgent care.
Things Customers Should Consider about Doctor On Demand
Doctor On Demand is a great option for those seeking convenient and accessible healthcare services. Customers should consider the following when using Doctor On Demand:
- The availability of board-certified physicians, psychiatrists, and licensed therapists 24/7.
- The convenience of connecting with a doctor through video on any device.
- The cost-effectiveness of virtual visits is covered at 100% if you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas, HealthSelect Out-of-State or Medicare Advantage plans.
- The ability to book therapy or psychiatry mental health sessions with clinical experts in a variety of different fields.
- The security and privacy of their data as Doctor On Demand follows HIPAA guidelines.
Doctor On Demand provides customers with an easy and affordable way to access quality healthcare services from the comfort of their own homes.
Does Doctor on Demand Take Insurance?
Yes, Doctor on Demand does accept insurance. During registration, you can add your insurance to see if it is covered.
Doctor on Demand works with many employers and health insurance plans, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
Follow these easy steps to find out if your company is on the list:
- Open the Doctor On Demand app and log in to your account.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Go to “Employer” or “Insurance” and do what it says there.
- If you are using a computer, go to your account and look over your name in the top right corner.
- Then click on “Payment & Benefits” to add.
If you have any other questions, you can call Doctor on Demand at 1-800-997-6196.
How Much Does Doctor on Demand Cost?
How can you get Doctor on Demand support?
If you need immediate support from Doctor on Demand, the best way to get it is by calling their Customer Support Team. They are available toll-free at (800) 997-6196. You can also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. Additionally, if you have a question about scheduling an appointment, you can contact the Doctor On Demand member support team at the same email address or phone number. For more info, see https://doctorondemand.com/how-to-contact-us/.
Navigating Doctor on Demand’s Website
Navigating Doctor on Demand’s website (https://doctorondemand.com/) is simple. The website has a scrollable white and blue color-schemed interface, which makes it easy to find the information you need. You can get started using Doctor on Demand in two ways: either by downloading the app or by creating an account online.
Once you make an account, you can fill out your health history and begin browsing healthcare services offered by Doctor on the Demand professionals.
From there, you can select the type of care you need and book an appointment with a doctor or therapist. The website also provides helpful resources such as articles about different medical conditions, tips for staying healthy, and more.
How Do Therapy Sessions Work at Doctor on Demand?
Doctor on Demand offers 24/7 access to therapy sessions with clinical experts. Through the Doctor on Demand app, users can connect face-to-face with a doctor, psychiatrist, or psychologist through video on their iPhone or iPad.
The process is simple.
- First, you will need to create an account and provide your insurance information.
- Then you can search for a provider that meets your needs and book an appointment.
- During the session, you will be able to discuss any issues or concerns with your medical doctor or your provider in real time via video chat.
- After the session is complete, you can rate your experience and receive a summary of what was discussed during the session.
Doctor On Demand also provides access to board-certified physicians, psychiatrists, and licensed therapists over live video consultations for a variety of medical conditions. With Doctor On Demand, you can get the care you need from the comfort of your own home without having to wait in line at a clinic or hospital.
Doctor on Demand Alternatives
- Teladoc [https://www.teladoc.com/]: Teladoc offers virtual consultations with licensed physicians, therapists, and specialists for various health concerns. They accept many insurance plans, have a pay-per-visit model, and boast high patient satisfaction ratings.
- Amwell [https://amwell.com/]: Amwell provides medical and mental health services through virtual visits with board-certified doctors. They offer a range of pricing options, including a subscription model, and accept numerous insurance plans. See our online Amwell review.
- MDLive [https://www.mdlive.com/]: MDLive connects patients with healthcare professionals for virtual consultations in primary care, behavioral health, and dermatology. They offer competitive pricing, work with several insurance providers, and have positive user reviews.
- Talkspace [https://www.talkspace.com/]: Focused on mental health services, Talkspace connects users with licensed therapists for ongoing support via messaging and live video sessions. They offer various subscription plans and work with select insurance providers. See our online Talkspace review.
- Zocdoc [https://www.zocdoc.com/]: Zocdoc is a comprehensive platform that helps users find and book appointments with healthcare professionals based on specialty, location, language, and personal preferences. They work with many insurance providers and have received positive user feedback. See our online Zocdoc review.
- PlushCare [https://www.plushcare.com/]: PlushCare offers virtual primary care appointments and prescription management with experienced doctors. They accept many insurance plans and provide a membership option for discounted rates on services.
- Lemonaid Health [https://www.lemonaidhealth.com/]: Lemonaid Health focuses on providing convenient access to healthcare for common conditions through virtual visits. They offer a flat fee per consultation and do not require insurance.
- Sesame Care [https://sesamecare.com/]: Sesame Care is a direct-to-patient healthcare platform offering affordable and transparent pricing for virtual and in-person appointments with various healthcare professionals. No insurance is needed, making it accessible to a wider range of patients. See our online Sesame Care review.
- Brightside Health [https://www.brightside.com/]: Brightside Health specializes in online mental health services, providing personalized treatment plans for depression and anxiety. They offer medication, therapy, or a combination of both, with subscription-based pricing and dedicated support from licensed professionals. See our online Brightside Health review.
- HealthTap [https://www.healthtap.com/]: HealthTap connects users with doctors for virtual consultations, offering a subscription-based pricing model. They provide access to a vast library of health information and resources, as well as prescription services.
Summary – Doctor Demand:
Doctor on Demand offers a convenient and accessible solution for individuals seeking mental health support.
With its user-friendly platform, flexible scheduling options, and personalized treatment plans, it has the potential to improve the mental well-being of countless users.
However, there are many valid alternatives such as Sesame Care (see our review), an online booking platform to quickly book appointments with doctors for cheaper prices if you don’t insurance.
By understanding the features, benefits, and costs included in health associated with Doctor on Demand, you can make an informed decision about whether this telehealth platform is the right fit for your mental health journey.
We invite you to leave a comment with any questions you may have about Doctor on Demand or share your suggestions for other mental and behavioral health, services, apps, or courses that our Online Mental Health Reviews team should evaluate and review next. Your input helps us continue to provide valuable guidance and insights in the realm of online mental health support.
If You Are In Crisis
If you find yourself in a crisis, seeking therapy or waiting for an online therapy session may not be the safest option. In case of immediate assistance, dial 911, especially if there’s potential harm to yourself or others. If you’re contemplating self-harm, you can reach out to the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline by calling 988, where support is available 24/7.
Additionally, consider contacting the National Helpline of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at 800-662-HELP (4357). This free, confidential helpline assists individuals with mental health or substance abuse issues by providing them with access to treatment options and information, available 24/7, 365 days a year.