Epic Systems is a company that makes tools for everyone who wants to make patient care more accessible. They offer the Epic EMR application with many features like registration, scheduling, and payment systems. Even though it has some problems with interoperability, it is well-liked for improving patient care, administrative efficiency, and the financial health of groups. But some people worry about sharing info. Epic's MyChart is for you if you value accessibility as a patient or healthcare professional. However, even though it has perks, keep an eye out for better privacy-focused alternatives.
- Renowned healthcare software provider
- Adopted by many hospitals
- Offers cloud hosting services
- MyChart used by millions
- Multiple HIMSS Analytics awards
- Compatibility issues with billing systems
- Controversial data sharing practices
- Implementation problems reported
- Criticized pandemic work return plan
Navigating the world of healthcare can often feel like a daunting task. But what if there was a way to make it simpler, more efficient, and patient-friendly? Enter Epic Systems, an award-winning healthcare software company revolutionizing how we manage our health records.
Epic Systems is a beacon in electronic health records (EHR), providing applications that support every aspect of patient care, from registration to billing. Renowned institutions like Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Hospital are among their users, making them a trusted choice in the healthcare industry.
Despite some criticisms, Epic has shown resilience and adaptability, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, demonstrating its commitment to its employees’ safety and well-being. But what makes Epic truly stand out?
Is it their range of specialty-specific modules or their focus on interoperability and data exchange? Or maybe it’s their commitment to continuous learning with requisite certification and training for vendors and customers.
In this review, we will take a deep dive into Epic Systems, exploring its strengths and challenges and how it’s shaping the future of healthcare. We provide all the information you need to decide whether Epic Systems is the right EHR provider for your organization.
Let’s dive in!
About Epic Systems – Mission, Company Background
Epic Systems Corporation is a privately held American healthcare software company founded in 1979 by Judith R. Faulkner and headquartered in Verona, WI. Their proprietary electronic medical record (EMR) software application ‘Epic’ is trusted by 78% of U.S. patients and 3% globally.
Epic is committed to simplifying healthcare and improving the planet, investing in green energy sources and R&D. The company serves approximately 240 customers worldwide, with 220,000 physicians using their technology via the Care Everywhere network.
Epic’s executive team steers the company towards its goals while receiving recognition from Gartner’s Magic Quadrant and HIMSS Davies Awards.
Despite criticisms related to data sharing, implementation difficulties, and user dissatisfaction, Epic remains resilient and committed to transforming healthcare.
What Makes Epic Systems Unique
- Pioneering Spirit: Founded in 1979 with a small investment, Epic Systems has become a leading force in healthcare software.
- Comprehensive Software Solutions: Offers integrated applications to support various patient care aspects.
- Global Reach: Implemented in multiple countries, including the UK, Denmark, Finland, and Norway.
- Patient Empowerment: MyChart enables individuals to access their medical information from anywhere.
- Forward-Thinking Approach: Focus on remote care and cloud hosting for customers who prefer not to maintain their servers.
- Commitment to Interoperability: Promotes efficient healthcare delivery with quick implementation and easy use of software.
- Respect for Privacy: HIPAA compliant and prioritizes patient privacy and security.
- Customizable Solutions: Additional modules allow personalized solutions catering to unique needs.
- Customer-Centric Philosophy: On-time and on-budget implementations with high customer satisfaction.
- Broad User Base: Adopted by a significant U.S. population percentage and used by large healthcare systems.
List of Unique Epic Systems Features and Benefits
- Proprietary Software: Epic’s proprietary software, known as ‘Epic’ or Epic EMR, is a testament to their commitment to creating unique healthcare solutions.
- Chronicles Database Management System: At the heart of Epic’s healthcare software lies the Chronicles database management system, a robust platform supporting comprehensive patient care.
- Support Across Patient Care Functions: Epic’s applications cater to a wide range of patient care functions, from registration and scheduling to clinical systems for various healthcare providers.
- Cloud Hosting: Epic offers cloud hosting services, providing an alternative for customers who cannot maintain their servers.
- Consulting Services: Through its subsidiary, Boost, Inc., Epic provides short-term optimization and implementation consulting services.
- MyChart: Epic’s MyChart enables patients in the U.S. and beyond to access their doctors’ records and manage billing.
- Widespread Usage: Many highly ranked hospitals and medical schools in the U.S. News & World Report use Epic’s software, demonstrating its reliability and effectiveness.
- Extensive Patient Reach: With 78% of U.S. patients and over 3% of patients worldwide having their records stored in Epic’s software, Epic has a significant global footprint.
- Efficiency and Coordination: Epic’s software supports various functions related to patient care, enhancing efficiency and coordination among healthcare providers.
- Patient Empowerment: Epic’s MyChart empowers patients by providing access to their doctors’ records and facilitating billing processes.
- Convenience: Epic’s cloud hosting services offer comfort for customers who prefer not to maintain their servers.
- Support for Implementation: Epic’s short-term optimization and implementation consultants ensure a smooth and successful software implementation.
Who is Epic Systems Best For (And Not For)
- Comprehensive Healthcare Providers: Epic Systems could be your perfect match if you’re a hospital or healthcare organization seeking comprehensive electronic medical record (EMR) software. It’s designed to offer an all-in-one solution for managing patient care.
- Diverse Patient Care Functions: Are you a healthcare provider juggling multiple patient care functions like registration, scheduling, and billing? Epic Systems is crafted to support these functions, helping you streamline processes and increase efficiency.
- Patients Seeking Ease and Accessibility: If you’re a patient in the U.S. or elsewhere, eager to access your doctor’s records or manage billing services at your fingertips, Epic’s MyChart application empowers you.
Not Best For
- Healthcare Providers Preferring Open Systems: If you’re a healthcare provider who values interoperability with other EMR software, you might find Epic Systems less suitable. It’s designed as a proprietary system, which may not align with your preference for open systems.
- Organizations Concerned About Implementation Challenges: Have you heard about the implementation and integration difficulties faced by organizations in the UK, Denmark, Finland, and Norway? If such challenges concern you, considering alternatives to Epic Systems might be worth considering.
- Employees Seeking COVID-19 Responsiveness: If you’re dissatisfied with how Epic handled the COVID-19 pandemic, you might need help finding Epic Systems suitable. Choosing a system that aligns with your expectations and needs is essential.
Overall, we give Epic Systems a Quality Score of (4.4/5)
Epic Systems Pros, Advantages, and Strengths
Epic Systems integrates all aspects of patient care into one system, streamlining healthcare management.
Through MyChart, patients can access their medical records, promoting active participation in their health journey.
Reliable Data Management
Epic’s single database ensures consistent and accurate patient record management.
Epic supports online therapy sessions, making healthcare accessible anytime and anywhere.
Epic is renowned for delivering on time and within budget, earning high customer satisfaction ratings.
Epic Systems Cons, Disadvantages, and Weaknesses
Data Sharing Concerns
Critics have raised issues about Epic’s data-sharing policies, calling for more user transparency and control.
Implementing Epic’s software can be challenging, often requiring significant time and resources from healthcare institutions.
Some users in various countries have expressed dissatisfaction with Epic’s services, highlighting the need for improved user experience.
COVID-19 Response Criticism
Epic faced backlash for its initial plan to have employees return to work on campus during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Epic EHR can range from $ 1,200 to $500,000, making it a potentially expensive solution for some healthcare providers.
Overall, we give Epic Systems a Design Score of (4.1/5)
Epic Systems Third-Party Reviews
- 4.4/5 with 323 Reviews > Software Advice
- 4.2/5 with 920 Reviews > G2
- 4.0/5 with 92 Reviews > Software Finder
- 4.4/5 with 353 Reviews > GetApp
- 5.0/5 with 7 Reviews > Capterra
If you want to explore other top EHR services, see our Online Mental Health Reviews for the following: CounSol.com, Vagaro, aThenaOne, Epic Systems, NextGen Office, SimplePractice, TherapyNotes, and Theranest.
Overall, we give Epic Systems a Third-Party Review Score of (4.4/5)
How Much Does Epic Systems Cost
Epic serves a variety of industries and professionals, so its cost estimates vary. Based on several reviews, we glean the following:
- $49 per month for a single user
- Monthly: USD 11.99 per month
- Annual: USD 79.99 per year
Overall, we give Epic Systems a Cost Review Score of (4.0/5)
Epic Systems – Discounts, How To Cancel, etc
Discounts and Perks
Epic Systems offers a range of benefits to its employees. These include health insurance, vacation time, community gardens, and even sabbaticals. Employees are also eligible for deals at over 250 of the world’s best retailers and car rental companies.
In addition to these perks, they also offer a competitive benefits package valued at $7074 per employee, which includes insurance, health & wellness, home, financial & retirement, family & parenting, vacation & time off, and perks & discounts.
Occasionally, Epic Systems offers promotional codes that provide discounts on their tech products.
As for cancellation, it’s important to note that Epic Systems is primarily a B2B (business-to-business) service provider. This means canceling or changing your service would involve contacting your Epic Systems representative directly.
If you’re considering canceling or changing your service, reviewing your contract terms or contacting your representative for more information is recommended.
Is Epic Systems Legit? Conclusion
Overall, Epic Systems is a well-established company that has been operating since 19791. They’ve amassed a significant client base, serving many of the largest and most prestigious medical groups, hospitals, and healthcare organizations globally.
Moreover, Epic Systems has a strong reputation for its comprehensive suite of healthcare software solutions. Their software enhances patient care, streamlines workflows, and improves operational efficiency.
However, we understand that choosing the right healthcare software can feel overwhelming. Here are some points to consider:
- Reliability: Epic Systems has a proven track record of reliability and performance.
- User Satisfaction: While occasional user complaints exist, many users express satisfaction with Epic’s services.
- Security: Epic Systems places a high priority on data security and privacy.
Is Epic Systems legit? Absolutely. But, just like any other healthcare solution, ensuring that it aligns with your specific needs and expectations is essential. After all, it’s about finding the right tool to support you in delivering the best possible Care.
Remember, asking questions and seeking clarity regarding your healthcare needs is okay. You’re taking an essential step in making informed decisions, and that’s something to be proud of.
Epic Systems Review
Name: Epic Systems
Description: Epic Systems provides healthcare software for everyone seeking efficient patient care. They provide Epic EMR, which includes registration, scheduling, and invoicing. Organizations enjoy it for increasing patient care, administrative efficiency, and financial health despite interoperability issues. Concerns exist concerning data sharing. Epic's MyChart serves 150 million US patients and healthcare providers who value accessibility. Despite its merits, look for better privacy solutions.
Offer price: Depends
Application Category: Electronic Health Software
Author: Online Mental Health Reviews