Despite the rise of mental health awareness, people of color are still under-represented in the therapy field.
This is especially true for black therapists, particularly in areas like Minnesota, where racial discrimination has been a long-standing issue.
However, there are online therapy resources available to help you find the right therapist that understands your unique experience as an individual of color within the African American community.
Let’s look at why this is an important issue and how to find a black therapist in Minnesota.
Please be aware that our goal at Online Mental Health Reviews is to demystify and normalize mental health.
This video playlist provides a list of 11 low- or no-cost mental health therapy, as well as six resources for locating a qualified practitioner in your area.
Before making a choice, narrow your search results by factors like area, ethnicity, and insurance coverage.
The time to subscribe is now!
We sincerely hope that the information in the rest of this page will be useful and enlightening to you.
In the comment section below, please let us know which mental health service you would like us to purchase and test next, as well as any other queries you may have.
A Brief History of Racial Discrimination
Minnesota has had a long history of racial inequality and discrimination.
The state’s Native American population faced displacement and exploitation following the signing of treaties with the U.S. government throughout the 19th century.
In addition, African Americans were barred from settling in Minnesota until after Reconstruction due to discriminatory laws that prohibited them from owning property or voting for young adults.
Such policies have continued to shape the landscape of Minnesota today, where people of color continue to face disparities in access to quality healthcare services and other resources.
The Significance of Having Black Therapists Available
Because racism has been so pervasive for so long, it can be difficult for individuals of color to find a therapist who can fully understand their experiences and provide personalized treatment plans that address their needs.
That’s why having access to black therapists is so important; they can provide culturally competent care that takes into account not only physical health but also mental health issues related to racism and microaggressions that may otherwise go unnoticed or untreated.
List Of Black Therapists In Minnesota (MN)
If you are looking for a Black therapist in Minnesota (MN), there are several options available to you.
- You can find a list of Black therapists in Minneapolis, MN on Psychology Today https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/mn/minneapolis?category=african-american.
- Additionally, the Mary Ellen Strong Foundation1 has created a directory of Black therapists https://maryellenstrongfoundation.org/directory-black-therapists/ that includes counselors and therapists located throughout the state.
- Finally, Mental Health Match offers an easy way to search for Black therapists in Minneapolis, MN https://mentalhealthmatch.com/browse-therapists/minnesota/minneapolis/black-therapists.
About Mary Ellen Strong Foundation:
- The Mary Ellen Strong Foundation (MESF) works to promote mental health in underserved communities by increasing access to treatment.
- MESF is currently focused on providing support to African American mental health providers in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- MESF offers a Mental Health Professional Development Program for graduate students interested in such career paths.
- Wellness retreats have been developed specifically for mental health providers, to reduce/preventing compassion fatigue and burnout.
- Resources and culturally relevant content are provided through the MESF website.
Where To Find A Black Male Therapist In Minnesota (MN)?
Therapy for Black Men provides a search filter (https://therapyforblackmen.org/therapists/?fwp_therapists_by_state_license=minnesota) for black men looking for therapists in Minnesota. Since 2007, you can take advantage of this service.
You may also use the https://searchblackmaletherapists.com/ website as well. However, we have used this search for Minnesota and did not get any search results for black male therapists in Minnesota.
Where To Find A Black Female Therapist In Minnesota (MN)?
It’s not hard to find a therapist who is a black woman in Minnesota (MN) if you know where to look.
- You may find a list of local Black female therapists in Minnesota, along with details about their credentials and expertise, on the Black Female Therapists website here.
- Therapy for Black Girls is another great resource to promote the emotional health of Black women and girls. This group provides a comprehensive directory of licensed black female therapists in all 50 states, including Minnesota (https://providers.therapyforblackgirls.com/explore/?state-of-licensure=Minnesota&accepting-new-clients=Yes&sort=nearby), as well as tools to help you learn how to choose the right therapist for your needs.
Where To Find A Black Psychiatrist In Minnesota (MN)?
It is more challenging, but not at all impossible, to locate a black psychiatrist in the state of Minnesota (MN).
If you are looking for a black psychiatrist in Minnesota, you can start your search with the following two resources:
- On the website Black Mental Health, there is a search tool labeled “Finding a Black Psychiatrist.” You may access it at https://blackmentalhealth.com/black-psychiatrists/.
- Another good starting point is to use the search filter on Psychology Today to narrow your results to Psychiatrists in Minnesota (MN) who are African-American: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/psychiatrists/mn/minneapolis?category=african-american.
Minnesota (MN) Black Therapist Directory
If you are looking for a Black therapist in Minnesota, there are many resources available to help you find the right one.
- The Mary Ellen Strong Foundation has a directory of Black therapists that can be accessed online.
- Additionally, Psychology Today has a list of African American therapists in Minneapolis, MN.
- Mental Health Match also provides an easy way to search for Black therapists in Minneapolis, MN.
- Furthermore, African American Therapists and Find Black Therapists both have directories of Black therapists in Minnesota.
- Finally, Melanin and Mental Health is a great resource for finding a therapist who understands the unique needs of the Black community.
- Both Talkspace and Brightside are excellent online therapy platforms that 45 million Americans have access to through their insurance.
With so many options available, you can be sure to find the right therapist for your needs.
How Much Does A Therapist Make In Minnesota (MN)?
According to Indeed.com, the average salary for a therapist in Minnesota is $61,699 annually. This number varies depending on the type of therapist and the city in which they work.
You should also consider factors such as experience and qualifications when considering salary expectations. Please keep in mind that this is just an average number.
Overall, it’s important to research potential employers and locations before making any decisions about your career path as a therapist in Minnesota.
How Much Is A Therapy Session In Minnesota (MN)?
The MN Counseling Therapy website3 provides a complete breakdown of local regional costs of therapy in Minnesota.
It’s an excellent resource and we highly recommend you take a look at your area in Minnesota to find the average cost of your city.
According to MN Counseling Therapy, the average cost of a therapy session in Minnesota is $147 per session. Each session is 50-55 minutes.
How Much Does A Therapist Cost In Minnesota (MN)?
MN Counseling Therapy says that monthly costs of therapy on average in Minnesota costs are $588 per month and around $7K per year.
How Can I Get Free Therapy In Minnesota (MN)?
If you are looking for free or low-cost therapy in Minnesota (MN), you should check out the Walk-in Counseling Center4 (https://walkin.org/).
- Walk-In Counseling Center was founded in 1969 by a group of psychologists to provide accessible mental health services in the Twin Cities.
- The center has been offering free, anonymous mental health counseling for the past 52 years to help thousands of people address issues such as depression, anxiety, and trauma.
- The mission is to serve unmet needs for accessible mental health counseling with dignity and compassion. Services are provided by volunteer clinicians valued at over $30 million over the past 52 years.
- In 2022, more than 1,400 individuals received 3,100 free formal counseling sessions with the help of 102 volunteer counselors and team consultants.
- Walk-In Counseling Center is the only one in the world staffed entirely by volunteer clinicians.
Here is a list of free online counseling resources for depression as well.
What Kinds Of Mental Health Providers Are Available in Minnesota (MN)?
If you are looking for mental health providers in Minnesota (MN), there are a variety of options available. Depending on your needs, you can access individual therapy, group therapy programs, psychiatric services, coordinate care, and other community-based services and supports.
- The Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) provides a wide range of mental health services across the state (https://mn.gov/dhs/adult-mental-health/).
- Additionally, the Minnesota Mental Health Services Information website offers resources to help you find the right provider for your needs (https://mnmentalhealth.com/).
- Furthermore, organizations such as NAMI Minnesota provide general mental health resources that can help you learn more about available providers (https://namimn.org/support/information-and-resources/general-mental-health-resources/).
You can also find psychiatrists, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, and counselors through various clinics in MN such as Minnesota Mental Health Clinics.
No matter what type of provider you’re looking for, it’s important to do your research to ensure they meet your needs and have the necessary qualifications. It’s also important to make sure that any provider is licensed by the state of MN before beginning treatment.
How Can I Make An Appointment With A Therapist In Minnesota (MN)?
Making an appointment with a therapist in Minnesota (MN) is relatively easy.
You can start by looking up licensed professionals in your area, such as Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFTs), or Licensed Psychologists.
You can find these professionals on the Minnesota Board of Psychology website or the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy website. Just use the resources above!
Additionally, you can search for local mental health clinics or private practices that offer therapy services.
Once you have identified a few potential therapists, you may want to check their credentials and read reviews from past clients to make sure they are a good fit for you.
When contacting a therapist, it is important to ask about their fees and insurance coverage. Many therapists accept insurance plans, so be sure to inquire about this when scheduling an appointment.
It is also important to ask about their availability and what type of therapy they specialize in. Finally, make sure that you feel comfortable with the therapist before committing to an appointment.
Overall, making an appointment with a therapist in MN is not difficult if you know where to look and what questions to ask.
With some research and preparation, you can find the right therapist for your needs and begin your journey toward better mental health.
How Do I Find A Therapist In Minnesota (MN) Who Offers In-Person Sessions?
Finding a therapist in Minnesota (MN) who offers in-person sessions can be done quickly and easily.
You can start by searching online directories such as Psychology Today, Find A Therapist, and Minnesota Psychologists (https://mnpsych.org/find-a-psychologist). These websites list therapists in your area who offer in-person sessions.
- Additionally, you can search for local mental health centers or clinics that provide counseling services.
- You should also consider the type of therapy you are looking for when selecting a therapist. Different types of therapy may require different qualifications or certifications from the therapist, so it is important to research the type of therapy you are interested in before making an appointment.
- When selecting a therapist, it is important to consider their credentials and experience.
- Additionally, it is helpful to read reviews from other clients who have seen the therapist before making an appointment.
- Finally, it is important to find a therapist that makes you feel comfortable and safe during your sessions.
Make sure that your values align with those of your potential therapist before committing to any long-term treatment plan.
Finally, you may want to read about the difference in costs between online therapy and in-person therapy.
Does Insurance Cover Therapy In Minnesota (MN)?
If you live in Minnesota and are looking for mental health coverage, you’re in luck.
Most Minnesota health insurance carriers also provide mental health benefits that cover therapy.
- Blue Cross and Blue Plus health plans typically cover behavioral and mental health services, such as doctor visits, prescriptions, and hospital stays.
- Additionally, Medicaid (also called Medical Assistance or MA) and MinnesotaCare are health insurance programs for people with low incomes that offer coverage for mental health services.
When researching your options, it is important to ask your insurance provider questions about your specific plan’s mental health benefits such as deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, copayments, coinsurance, and prior authorization requirements.
It is also important to note that some services may require a referral from your primary care provider before they can be covered by insurance.
Black Therapist in Minnesota Conclusion:
While there is still much work left to do when it comes to achieving equity within the therapy field – especially regarding access for individuals from diverse backgrounds – luckily there are now more resources than ever before available for those seeking out qualified black therapists in Minnesota (MN).
By taking advantage of these resources, you can ensure that you get the quality care you deserve from someone who understands your unique needs as an individual of color.
- Mental Health Services to Underserved Communities – Mary Ellen Strong Foundation. (n.d.). Mental Health Services to Underserved Communities – Mary Ellen Strong Foundation. https://maryellenstrongfoundation.org/
- Directory of Black Psychiatrists | Black Mental Health Alliance. (n.d.). Directory of Black Psychiatrists | Black Mental Health Alliance. https://blackmentalhealth.com/black-psychiatrists/
- R. (2021, January 25). Cost of Counseling Therapy in Twin Cities MSP Metro – MN Counseling Therapy – Richard Chandler, MA, LPC. MN Counseling Therapy – Richard Chandler, MA, LPC. https://mncounselingtherapy.com/cost-of-counseling-therapy-in-twin-cities-msp-metro/
- About Us – Walk-In. (n.d.). Walk-In. https://walkin.org/about-us/