Finding the right therapist can be a daunting task, especially when you’re on a tight budget.
Fortunately, there are many cheap online therapy resources located specifically in the UK.
In this blog post, we’ll provide information about some of these online therapy options and show you how to find for you affordable online therapy in the UK for mental health issues.
Counselling Directory is an online directory that allows users to search for qualified therapists in their local area. The directory lists therapists from all over the UK and provides detailed profiles for each one.
Each profile includes information about the therapist’s qualifications and experience, as well as their fees and availability.
This is a great resource for finding affordable therapy services near you. Learn more at Counselling-Directory.Org.Uk/.
The UK Counselling Network
The UK Counselling Network is a charity based in London that provides low-cost counseling services for people living in England who may not have access to traditional face-to-face therapy sessions due to financial or other constraints.
The website allows users to book sessions with counselors via Skype or telephone at an affordable rate of just £25 per hour. Learn more at UkCounsellingNetwork.Co.Uk/.
How can I get free online therapy UK?
Finding free online therapy in the UK is becoming easier and more accessible than ever before.
There are several resources available to those seeking mental health support, from stress and anxiety to depression.
Here are some of the best options for free online therapy:
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) through the NHS (see more info below)
- Charities providing talking therapies
- Mental health support at work
- Private therapists offering free sessions
- 24-hour online therapy chat rooms
- Free online counseling resources for teens
No matter what your mental health needs may be, there is likely an option available that can provide you with the help you need without having to pay a fee.
It’s important to do your research and find a therapist or service that meets your individual needs.#### Sources
Can you get therapy for free in the UK?
Yes, it is possible to get therapy for free in the UK.
The NHS provides talking therapies, or psychological therapies, which are delivered by fully trained and accredited practitioners1.
Specifically, the NHS psychological therapies service called the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) program provides free therapy from trained professionals.
However, please know that while many people do well with IAPT, other people in Reddit comments write how their first therapy through the NHS is too short or doesn’t go deep enough.
Most of the time, there will be a list of people waiting, and the therapy will be short-term and mostly cognitive-behavioral.
But good news! In addition to the IAPT, there are several other options available:
- Free Psychotherapy Network (https://freepsychotherapynetwork.com/)
- Help Hub (see above)
- Mental Health Hotlines
Is online therapy cheaper than in-person UK?
When considering whether online therapy or in-person therapy is cheaper, it is important to note that rates typically do not differ much between the two, despite what online therapy providers claim about their service are cheaper.
In some cases, online therapy may be more affordable than in-person sessions due to fewer overhead costs for the therapist.
However, this will depend on the service and level of support you choose. Additionally, as we’ve noted above there are options for free therapy, and many low cost therapy options as well.
It is also important to compare different options and consider your circumstances when deciding which type of therapy to pursue.
online therapy uK free
low-cost therapy uk
Therapy is an effective and confidential treatment that can be accessed through the NHS or other organizations, sometimes for free as we’ve documented above.
If you want to pay a bit extra, in the UK, there are a variety of low-cost therapy options available to those who need it. These include:
- Anxiety UK offers talking therapies for anxiety at a reduced rate
- Mental Health Matters (MHM) offers a telephone counseling service and talking therapies in some areas at a reduced rate
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) provides access to qualified therapists throughout the UK
- UK Therapy Guide offers therapy and counseling at a reduced rate
- Counselling Directory has counselors and therapists available throughout the UK at a reduced rate (see above)
- Psychology Today has counselors, therapists, and psychologists available throughout Great Britain at a reduced rate
Even More Free Therapy Options In The UK
If you have to wait a long time for therapy on the NHS, you can try other ways to get the same thing: free, professional help.
The first way is by working. More and more employers are putting in place programs like Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) to help their employees feel better.
EAPs allow employees to get confidential phone help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and they often offer a limited number of therapy sessions. Talk to HR if you’re not sure if you can use EAPs through your job.
There are also charities, like local branches of Mind, Rethink Mental Illness, and Turning Point, that offer therapy for free or at a low cost2.
- Mind is open from 9am to 6pm, Monday through Friday. You can call them at 0300 123 3393.
- Rethink Mental Illness has a helpline you can call at 0300 5000 927 to get real-world help (open Monday to Friday 10am-4pm).
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) people may be able to get some counseling services for free or at a low cost. You can search for these online or ask your local LGBT+ service for help.
- The LGBT Foundation helps gay people with their mental health and provides them with resources. This includes making friends, offering free counseling, and having a support line.
- London Friend is a charity for LGBT+ people that provides phone support, low-cost counseling, and social and support groups. Here, you can find more help: LondonFriend.Org.Uk/
There are also free counseling services at many colleges and universities for students. These services can usually be gotten without going through a teacher or a doctor. Students might also be able to get private therapy at a lower cost.
Why does cheap online therapy uK exist?
Cheap online therapy is an increasingly popular option for those looking for mental health care.
It is a convenient and affordable way to access professional counseling services without having to leave the comfort of your own home.
Cheap online therapy can be beneficial for those who may not have the time or resources to attend traditional in-person therapy sessions.
It also provides anonymity, allowing individuals to discuss sensitive topics without fear of judgment or stigma.
What are the problems with cheap online therapy UK?
Cheap online therapy can be an excellent option for those looking for mental health support on a budget.
However, there are some potential drawbacks to consider before deciding to pursue this type of therapy.
What are the problems with cheap online therapy?
- Quality of care: It is important to make sure that the therapist you choose is qualified and experienced in providing quality care.
- Accessibility: Not all therapists offer online services, so it may be difficult to find one that meets your needs.
- Privacy concerns: Online therapy may not provide the same level of privacy as traditional in-person sessions.
- Limited services: Some online therapy services may only offer limited types of treatment or counseling options.
- Cost: While cheap online therapy can be an affordable option, it may not always be the most cost-effective choice in the long run.
How to Handle the Waitlist
Being on a waitlist for online therapy in the UK can be a difficult and frustrating experience. However, there are some things you can do to help yourself in the meantime.
Here are some tips for practicing self-care while you’re waiting:
- Prioritise Self-Care: Don’t forget to take care of your own needs and make time for activities that allow you to relax and unwind. This could include walking, doing yoga or meditation, journaling, reading a good book, having a bath or listening to music.
- Mindfulness Exercises: Mindfulness is an effective way of managing stress, anxiety and other emotions by focusing on the present moment. Try out different mindfulness exercises like deep breathing or guided visualizations – they can help you feel more grounded and centered.
- Connect With Loved Ones: Social connections have been proven to have positive effects on our mental health. Reach out to your family and friends who understand what you’re going through – whether that means chatting over the phone, sending emails or catching up over video chat.
- Seek Out Supportive Communities: It can be helpful to join online communities where people are sharing similar experiences – this could be peer-to-peer sites or even just forums on Reddit!
Remember that self-care is essential – even when it feels hard to make the time for it. Making sure that your well-being is taken care of before – and during – therapy will go a long way toward helping your recovery!
When it comes to finding cheap online therapy resources in the UK, there are many options available.
Whether you’re looking for a qualified therapist near your home or an online platform that connects you with licensed professionals from around the world, there’s something out there for everyone – no matter what your budget is!
We hope this blog post has given you some helpful insight into the various cheap online therapy resources available in the UK so that you can find the one that best suits your needs. Good luck!
- NHS talking therapies. (n.d.). nhs.uk. https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/talking-therapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/
- Here’s How To Access Free Therapy. (2020, January 28). HuffPost UK. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-find-free-therapy-uk-nhs_uk_5c34d4b8e4b05d4e96bd09f0