When it comes to couples counseling or free marriage counseling, there are a variety of options available depending on your budget, needs, and schedule.
For couples who don’t have the time or funds to attend in-person therapy sessions, online counseling may be the answer.
There are many benefits to online counseling, such as convenience and affordability. However, not every online counseling service supports couples – nor is free!
So if you’re looking for free online counseling for couples, here are some great resources you should consider.
What you need to know: free online counseling options exist, but there are no free online services specifically for couples counseling.
Please know our mission at Online Mental Health Reviews is to help normalize and clarify mental health.
This video playlist below lists 6 tools to search for an ideal health provider near you, and also 11 free or low-cost mental health services.
You can filter search results by ethnicity, insurance, and location, and get more useful info before making any decision.
Be sure to subscribe! Please leave a comment below with what mental health service you want us to buy and try next.
Where can I talk to someone about my problems online for free?
There are many free resources available for those who need someone to talk to.
While this list of resources (below) does not specifically cater to couples, you should still know about some of the best places to find free online counseling services:
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential service that provides information and referrals to treatment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in both English and Spanish (https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline).
- 7 Cups offers free online therapy and counseling services (https://www.7cups.com/).
- BuddyHelp offers free emotional support, chat, and online therapy (https://buddyhelp.org/).
- Free Online Therapy offers free therapy for a week (https://freeonlinetherapy.org/)
Before we get into couples therapy resources, let’s discuss:
Can couples therapy Even fix a broken relationship?
When it comes to repairing a broken relationship, couples therapy can be an effective tool.
Here are some key points about how couples therapy can fix a broken relationship:
- Improves communication
- Revitalizes emotional connection
- Renegotiates commitments
- Helps partners understand themselves better
- Identifies any fundamental problems that might make repair impossible
Paid online counseling for Couples
Counseling is an important part of mental health care and can help people manage their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.
It can also provide support for those who are dealing with difficult life events or changes. For those looking for paid online counseling chat 24/7, there are several many available.
Below is a list of paid online counseling couples services:
- BetterHelp: https://www.betterhelp.com/online-therapy/
- Talkspace: https://www.talkspace.com/
- MyTherapist: https://mytherapist.com/
- ReGain (specifically for marriage and couples): https://www.regain.us/advice/counseling/
free couples counseling app
Couples counseling can be a great way to strengthen relationships, but it can also be expensive. There are some free online therapy options that we listed above, however, there are not many free couples counseling resources.
Fortunately, there are now several free couples counseling apps available that can help couples reconnect and build healthier relationships!
From Intimately Us to Lasting: Marriage Counseling, these apps offer a range of features to help couples communicate better and work through their issues.
Here are some of the best free couples counseling apps for 20231:
- Intimately Us
- Date Night Deck
- Lasting: Marriage Counseling
- Love Nudge
- Been Together
- Couple Game: Relationship Quiz
How to Find Free Counseling for Couples: 8 Ways
- Insurance company: Insurance may cover counseling. Counseling sessions are usually co-payable. When arranging an appointment at a local therapy clinic, call your insurance provider to find out if you need to pay a co-pay or if it covers the full cost.
- Many local churches provide short counseling classes or therapists who accept donations or sliding scales.
- School office: High schools and colleges may offer free counseling. These services usually expire. They may be time- or use-limited. These programs provide quality mental health care without cost, using trained experts. This is our top recommendation for students.
- Online therapy websites provide one or two free sessions to test out the therapist and their style. This isn’t a long-term answer, but it can help you determine if you want online therapy, counseling, or a free psychologist. If you don’t like your first free therapist, try another one to see if your personalities match.
- Visit National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Your local NAMI branch may help you obtain affordable mental health treatment.
- Mental health clinics may provide scholarships to assist pay for services. When you call, have your name, age, income, and name ready.
- Local therapy offices: Several therapy offices offer income-based sliding scales for those without insurance. Ask the office about free or low-cost therapy.
- Hotlines can aid in a pinch if you’re in many difficulties but are not resources specific for couples.
Please be sure you read the fine print wherever you go because some places might offer one free session of counseling if you sign up for more.
Other Resources For Free Online Therapy
If you are looking for free online therapy, which doesn’t necessarily focus on couples per se, but helps connect you to licensed mental health professionals – there are many resources available:
- Try Reddit comments talking about free online mental health support
- Look up depression-specific groups and online communities, as well as anxiety
- Learn about teen-specific free online therapy support for ages under 18
- Discover the free 24/7 online services available for suicide, domestic abuse, rape, and life-threatening situations
It’s important to note that while these free online counseling options exist for those seeking help on a tight budget, they may not be the best fit for everyone’s needs – especially if there is an underlying issue that requires more intensive treatment than what is offered by these services (for example substance abuse or suicidal ideation).
Unfortunately, couples counseling is not usually covered in free online therapy services. Although there are definitely a handful of counseling apps that are free!
However, if you are really determined you can probably find low-cost couples counseling with the resources above!
In these cases, it may be best to seek out appropriate, traditional in-person therapy as soon as possible rather than relying solely on virtual care options like the ones listed above. That said – if you’re looking for free online counseling for couples then these options should be explored further!