If you are looking for online counseling for depression, you may be feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available.
With so many online counseling services promising to help, it can be difficult to find the right one for your needs. Fortunately, there are a few reliable and reputable sources that offer online counseling are free online counseling for depression.
Please realize that Online Mental Health Reviews’ purpose is to normalize and clarify mental health.
This video playlist covers 6 tools to find a good doctor and 11 free or low-cost mental health services.
You can limit search results by ethnicity, insurance, geography, and more before making a decision.
We hope you find the rest of the post interesting and informative.
Please leave a comment with your next mental health service or queries.
What is online counseling for depression?
Depression is a serious mental health disorder that can have a significant impact on an individual’s life.
However, more and more people are turning to online therapy as an effective way to treat their mental health issues.
Good news – Online therapy is just as effective as traditional therapy for depression treatment1, and many organizations and therapists offer a set amount of free sessions.
With the resources listed below, free online counseling for depression can provide individuals with access to professional help and volunteer support.
- Access to qualified professionals in a safe, secure, and confidential environment
- Professional help and support from experienced counselors
- Guidance and advice tailored to the individual’s needs
- An opportunity to talk openly about their feelings without fear of judgment or stigma
- A range of resources such as articles, videos, podcasts, and more
Benefits of Online Counseling & Therapy
Online counseling offers many advantages that traditional face-to-face therapy does not.
For starters, it is more convenient as you don’t have to worry about finding a therapist who is available during your preferred hours or taking time off from work or other obligations to attend sessions.
Additionally, since all communication happens over the Internet or by phone (depending on the service), you can access these services from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
Moreover, since there is no travel time involved, online therapy tends to be more affordable than traditional therapy sessions.
More Benefits of Free Online Counseling for Depression:
Free online counseling for depression is becoming increasingly popular among people who are looking for a convenient and affordable way to get mental health support.
With the rise of teletherapy, individuals can access therapy from the comfort of their own homes, and find an appropriate therapist, without having to worry about transportation or other costs associated with in-person sessions.
Free online counseling services offer a variety of benefits, such as anonymity, convenience, and cost savings.
- Accessible from anywhere with an internet connection
- Can be done in the comfort of your own home
- No need for transportation or childcare costs
- Anonymity allows users to feel comfortable discussing sensitive topics
- Many organizations and therapists offer a set amount of free sessions
- Numerous apps and websites provide free or low-cost online therapy chats
Free Online Counseling and Therapy Resources
Here are a few resources specifically for free online therapy and counseling.
These services are not limited to depression but include depression along with a variety of other mental health support options.
- 7 Cups: Provides free online therapist and counseling services (https://www.7cups.com/)
- BuddyHelp: Offers free emotional support, chat, and online therapy (https://buddyhelp.org/)
- Free Online Therapy: Gives a week of free therapy (https://freeonlinetherapy.org/)
- The Hope Line – Choose your mental health topic ranging from suicide to depression, and connect with trained therapists for free (https://www.thehopeline.com/)
Free Online Chat Support for Mental Health
Online chats for emotional support, including depression, are different than therapy and counseling resources.
Therapy and counseling are both individual services mostly conducted over phone, via video or in-person.
Online chats are primarily through text, and online chatrooms, and are more anonymous. You often connect with strangers, who while empathetic and nonjudgmental, may not be trained.
Nonetheless, there are a variety of free online chat options for depression and your mental health:
- Remedy Live: Provides free chat support for anxiety and depression, text 494949 from anywhere in the United States (https://www.remedylive.com/).
- Blah Therapy: Free online chat for emotional support (https://blahtherapy.com/)
- NYC Well: Aimed at New Yorkers, but anyone may call (1-888-692-9355) or text WELL to 65173 for free stress, anxiety, and depression support (https://nycwell.cityofnewyork.us/en/)
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America – This organization provides a free online chat & community staffed by trained volunteers who provide evidence-based information about anxiety, depression, and related disorders (https://healthunlocked.com/anxiety-depression-support).
Free Hotline Helpline For Mental Health
In addition to free counseling, therapy, and chatroom options for mental health support, there are hotlines that are typically for more urgent situations:
Here are additional resources for free hot mental health hotlines and helplines:
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline (tel:1-800-662-4357): A free, confidential, 24/7 treatment referral and information service in English and Spanish (https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline). This federal agency offers a 24/7 toll-free hotline that connects individuals to treatment services and support groups in their area, as well as provides general information about mental illness, substance abuse prevention, suicide prevention, and recovery support. You can call 1-877-SAMHSA7 (1-877-726-4727) 24/7 to speak with someone who can help.
- NAMI HelpLine – The National Alliance on Mental Illness (https://nami.org/) provides a helpline to connect individuals and families affected by mental illness with trained and caring volunteers who offer support and information. You can call 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) Monday through Friday from 10 am–6pm ET / 7am–3pm PT.
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline – The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline provides 24/7 support for those dealing with suicidal thoughts or who may be in crisis. They offer both phone (988) and web options (https://988lifeline.org/) so that depressed and suicidal people can get help quickly when they need it most. Try calling 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
- Girls & Boys Town National Hotline – This hotline provides free counseling and crisis intervention services to troubled youth, teen, and their families across the United States (https://teenlineonline.org/yyp/girls-boys-town-national-hotline/), including those dealing with bullying, depression, relationship problems, and more. You can call 1-800-4480-3000 anytime day or night for assistance in English or Spanish-speaking countries around the world.
- LGBT National Hotline – This hotline provides peer counseling, support groups, and referral services to LGBT youth under 25 years old. It’s available Mon – Fri from 4 pm – 12 am EST at 888 – 843 – 4564.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – This hotline provides confidential support to anyone experiencing domestic violence, including victims of emotional, verbal, or physical abuse in relationships. The Hotline is available 24/7 at (800)-799-7233 or Text START to 88788. Visit here: https://www.thehotline.org/.
Find A Free Depression Support Group Online
Finally, there are free depression support groups.
See the Depression and BiPolar Support Alliance for local groups and online groups (https://www.dbsalliance.org/support/chapters-and-support-groups/find-a-support-group/).
Online Mental Health Reviews lists four free places to get therapy online
You have a lot of choices if you want free online therapy that can connect you with certified mental health professionals, support groups, and emergency care.
- Check out what people on Reddit have to say about free online mental health support.
- Find out more about free online counseling support geared at teenagers that is available to anyone under the age of 18 right here.
- Find out about the free online services that are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help with suicide, domestic violence, rape, and other situations that could endanger your life.
- Learn more about therapy for couples that can be done online (free and paid)
Online counseling can be expensive and not every online counseling service supports depression as its primary focus; however several reputable organizations are offering free online counseling specifically tailored toward helping people manage their depression symptoms.
We have listed some of our top picks above but encourage you to do further research into different options to find one that works best for your individual needs and circumstances.
Remember that receiving professional help is essential when dealing with mental health issues like depression; don’t hesitate to reach out if you need additional assistance!
- NHS talking therapies. (n.d.). nhs.uk. https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/talking-therapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/
Additional Online Chat Options
Online chat is becoming an increasingly popular choice. If you want more info on a sub-niche or topic, please delve further with these resources:
- 24/7 Online Counseling
- 7 Cups Of Tea: Mental Health Review
- Teen Counseling Resources Online
- Depression: Free Online Counseling Resources
- Dermatologist Consultations: Free Online Options
- Free Vet Advice Online
- Doctor Consultations Online (Limited Free)
- Life’s Challenges Chat Platforms
- Meet Friends via Free Online Chat
- Teens and Therapy: Free Online Options
- Top Free Online Chat Platforms
- Find a Therapist: Free Online Chat
- Legal Advice: Top Free Online Chat Resources
- Benefits of a Free Online Therapist
- Free Stranger Chat Platforms
Unfortunately, many free online chats are of poor quality as you might suspect.
For better service, you may want to try Just Answer. Why?
Just Answer is the top website for Expert questions and answers. Because of this reputation, our team bought and reviewed Just Answer.
While we thought Just Answer was over-rated, if you need to talk with an Expert fast, their $5 trial is worth a shot.
Our team invites you to share your thoughts in the comments section below. Let us know which mental health software products, apps, or courses that Online Mental Health Reviews should explore and review next.