Are you considering online therapy as an option for yourself or a loved one, but don’t know where to start? Talkspace is a popular online therapy platform that allows users to access mental health services from the comfort of their own homes.
But what are Talkspace costs? In this article, we will break down the different plans and pricing options available with Talkspace and discuss the benefits of online therapy.
For complete documentation, see our comprehensive Talkspace video playlist:
How Does Talkspace Work?
Talkspace is an online platform. Users can choose from a variety of different plans depending on their needs, budget, and preferences.
All plans include messaging with your therapist, unlimited text and video messaging, access to therapists trained in multiple modalities (such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), and 24/7 support.
What Are The Different Plans Available With Talkspace?
Talkspace offers 3 online therapy monthly plans with varying price-point tiers and 1 psychiatry bundle. The Talkspace plans are:
- Online Therapy – messaging, video, workshops
- Teens – messaging, video, workshops
- Psychiatry (Bundle info below)
Only Messaging Therapy
Video + Messaging Therapy
Video + Messaging Workshop
Talkspace Prices And Payment Options
If you’re considering online therapy with Talkspace, you may be wondering about their pricing and payment options. For more info you can take a look at the Talkspace Help Center here, however, their help center does not list info about their Online Teen Therapy program.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Talkspace offers each of their 3 monthly plans (online therapy, couples, and teens) and 1 psychiatry bundle at different price points.
- Talkspace Teen Therapy costs the same as Talkspace Online Therapy
- You can save money for online and teen therapy programs by prepaying for a quarterly (10% discount) or b-annual plan (20% discount). These discounts are not available for Psychiatry or Couples plans.
- You cannot get discounts on the Psychiatry plan or Couples plan.
- Psychiatry is a bundle: Visits with a psychiatrist are live and cost per session, with an initial appointment costing $249 and follow-up sessions costing $125 each. However, if you bundle 1 follow-up session you can save $9 at a price of $365, or save $59 with 3 follow-up sessions for $565.
How Much Does Talkspace Cost?
Talkspace Payment Plans – monthly, quarterly, biannual
Talkspace plans for Online Therapy, Teens, and Couples can all be billed monthly. Remember, psychiatry is a bundle not a subscription. Also, Talkspace couples therapy does not have any discounts or other payment options besides monthly.
If you are planning on using Talkspace Online Therapy or Teen Therapy, you can subscribe for more than 1 month. Your options are quarterly, where you’ll save 10%. Or bi-annually, where you’ll save %20.
If you’re interested in signing up for Talkspace, there are a few easy steps you can follow.
First, you can visit the Talkspace website or download the mobile app for iOS or Android. Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to answer some questions about what brings you to therapy and what your goals are.
After that, you’ll be matched with a licensed therapist who will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan.
One of the benefits of Talkspace is that it’s very convenient and affordable, so it’s a great option if you’re looking for mental health support that fits into your busy schedule.
So if you’re ready to take the first step towards better mental health, signing up for Talkspace might be just what you need, especially if you have insurance.
Here is a complete video where the entire Talkspace sign-up process, including payment, is shown:
Does Talkspace Offer Discounts or a Free Trial?
If you’re wondering whether Talkspace offers discounts or a free trial, the answer is yes! Here are some ways you can save money on your Talkspace subscription:
- Visit the Talkspace homepage to see if there are any current discount codes available.
- If you’re a first-time user, you can get a Talkspace coupon for $100 off your subscription.
- Sign-up for a quarterly or bi-annual plan for Teens or Online Therapy
- Keep an eye out for seasonal sales and promotions.
As for a free trial, Talkspace does not offer one at this time. However, they do offer a satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with your therapist after your first session, they’ll match you with a new one. However, you must complete your sessions. They do not offer refunds for the remaining sessions.
Talkspace Medication Management
If you are considering Talkspace for medication management, here is what you need to know:
- Talkspace offers online psychiatric care and medication management services with licensed prescribers, including both nurse practitioners and psychiatrists.
- If you sign up for Talkspace’s psychiatry plan, you can receive medication management for some mental health conditions that are classified as non-controlled substances.
- Examples of these medications include antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and sleep aids.
- Talkspace will match you with a licensed psychiatrist who can diagnose mental illnesses, prescribe medications, and provide ongoing medication management.
- The initial evaluation session will help determine if medication is appropriate for your specific needs.
- It is important to note that while online therapy can be convenient and accessible, it may not be suitable for everyone. If you have severe or complex mental health needs, in-person treatment may be more appropriate.
Psychiatric Consultation On Talkspace
If you are looking for online psychiatric consultation, Talkspace may be a good option for you. Here are some key points to consider:
- Talkspace offers online psychiatric care, therapy, and medication from licensed psychiatrists.
- You can connect with a licensed psychiatrist from the comfort of your own home.
- Talkspace also offers mental health screening tests to help determine if you should seek help from a licensed mental health professional.
According to a study published in the World Psychology Journal1, patients who receive online psychiatry have similar outcomes to traditional in-person psychiatry.
However, this study also notes the cost-savings are also exaggerated (overall costs between online and in-person are similar) and emphasizes a hybrid model of both in-person and online.
Is Talkspace Expensive?
Talkspace’s subscription plans could be too costly without insurance benefits. If you’re one of 60 million Americans whose company or insurance covers Talkspace, then Talkspace can be inexpensive and highly beneficial for its cost.
Is There a Free Version of Talkspace?
If you’re wondering whether there is a free version of Talkspace, the answer is no. However, there are affordable options available to you. Here are some key points to consider:
- Talkspace offers different pricing plans depending on your needs and budget.
- The most affordable plan starts at $69 per week and includes unlimited messaging therapy with a licensed therapist.
- While Talkspace does not offer a free version, it may be covered by your insurance or employee assistance program (EAP).
Is Talkspace Worth The Money?
Our experience working with a Talkspace therapist was very positive, as documented in this video below.
If you value high-quality conversations centering around your mental health, goals and you want advice to move forward – Talkspace offers a service to help you do so.
Of course, insurance plays a big role here.
How Often Does Talkspace Charge You?
Talkspace will bill you starting on the day you match with your provider, and then every month, 3 months, or 6 months depending on your plan. While Talkspace says it may take 1-3 days to match with a provider, in our documented experience, this process only took 2 hours.
How Do I Pay for Talkspace?
If you’re considering using Talkspace for therapy, you may be wondering how to pay for it. Here are some ways to pay for Talkspace:
- Insurance: Talkspace is partnered with several employers, U.S. health plans, and Employee Assistance Programs that cover the cost of therapy. Check with your insurance provider to see if they cover online therapy.
- Out-of-pocket: If you don’t have insurance coverage or prefer not to use it, you can pay out-of-pocket for Talkspace therapy.
- The cost varies depending on the plan you choose, but it’s generally more affordable than traditional in-person therapy.
- Superbill: If you pay upfront for your sessions, you can use a superbill to get fully or partially reimbursed through your Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA).
- Talkspace accepts all major credit cards, but not crypto, gift cards, or ACH.
If you are curious about insurance and other payment-related questions, see our Talkspace insurance video:
How Much Does Talkspace Cost – Reddit?
Talkspace has over 2 million users, so naturally, people talk about Talkspace on Reddit. Quite naturally there is are some people confused and ask questions.
Here are a few Reddit comments about the cost of Talkspace:
When Does Talkspace Charge You?
Talkspace will bill you starting on the day you match with your provider and then every month, three months, or six months, depending on your plan. Talkspace says that matching with a provider could take between 1 and 3 days, but in our experience, it only took 2 hours.
Talkspace will charge you the day you sign-up, in other words, except on the rare occasion when a match takes longer than 1 day.
After that, your subscription will renew on the same date of the month as your initial purchase. For example, if you signed up on the 10th of the month, your subscription will renew on the 10th of every subsequent month.
If you’re looking for an affordable option that gives you access to professional therapists trained in multiple modalities, Talkspace might be the right choice for you!
It’s important to note that research shows that online therapy can be just as effective as traditional therapies when it comes to treating depression, anxiety, trauma, addiction, relationship issues, mood disorders, etc., so if you’re interested in trying out Talkspace but unsure whether it will work for you—give it a try!
It helped us, as we’ve documented, and you may be surprised by how much it helps you too!
- Chakrabarti, S. (2015). Usefulness of telepsychiatry: A critical evaluation of videoconferencing-based approaches. World Journal of Psychiatry, 5(3), 286. https://doi.org/10.5498/wjp.v5.i3.286
More Talkspace Resources
- We Bought Talkspace (Video) – Here’s Our Complete Review
- Why Michael Phelps Says, “Talkspace Saved My Life”
- Insurances Talkspace Accepts – Covers 40 Million Americans
- Talkspace Cost Breakdown – What We Paid
- The Public and Private Talkspace Discounts We Found
- Talkspace Phone Number (?)
- Talkspace Company Financial Info
- The Salary of Talkspace Therapists
- How To Cancel Your Talkspace Subscription
- The Talkspace App Is Popular!
- Talkspace Versus Calmerry
- Talkspace Versus Brightside
- Talkspace Versus Sesame Care
Final Talkspace Review
Third Party Reviews
Pricing / Insurance
Talkspace is best if you’re new to therapy, have insurance, and looking for online convenience for mild to moderate mental health struggles.
Get $100 off your first month with code SPACE at Talkspace.com.
- No commuting with flexible online sessions from home
- Multiple subscription plans available
- Quick signup with user-friendly platform and app
- Constant access with round-the-clock text messages and live chats available
- You can choose your therapist from three options, allowing you to somewhat customize your experience
- Serves all 50 states
- You can switch therapists whenever you want at no extra cost.
- Has an easy-to-navigate app
- High user satisfaction
- Flexible plans, accepted by most health insurers and contract-free
- The service can connect you with a psychiatrist who can evaluate you and prescribe medication that you can pick up from your local pharmacy
- Provides individual therapy, couples, and teen therapy
- All sessions with well-qualified therapists
- The platform encrypts your conversations and offers a password-secured login system to keep your data private.
- Providers and AI algorithm choose 3 therapists for you
- No group or family counseling sessions
- Exact pricing only revealed upon sign-up
- Most affordable plan is messaging-only
- Text therapy may not be suitable for everyone as it may feel impersonal due to automated messages
- No sliding scale or financial aid options available
- Medicare and Medicaid do not cover services
- Live sessions are only 30 minutes long and must be purchased with higher-priced plans
- Overall best suited for cases of anxiety or depression
- If cancelled within the month, Talkspace will still charge the subscriber for the entire month
- AI analysis may be done on conversations with your therapist
- Chat history cannot be deleted
- Some misleading claims