My Talkspace vs Brightside Takeaways
- Talkspace covers a broad spectrum of mental health whereas Brightside specializes in evidence-based treatments for anxiety and depression.
- Talkspace accepts many more insurance options however Brightside pricing is better out of pocket
- Brightside is better overall quality for a variety of reasons (see below)
Basic Recommendation: Go with Brightside if your insurance covers it and if you are struggling primarily with anxiety or depression.
- If you have to pay out of pocket, Brightside is also a better deal. However, there are many health insurances that partner with Talkspace and not Brightside.
- If your health insurance is accepted by Talkspace and not Brightside, go with Talkspace.
- Brightside is better for prescriptions only.
- Talkspace has a better text messaging service.
How did my team and I arrive at these conclusions? Time to dive into Online Mental Health Comparison # 2 – Talkspace vs Brightside.
Why This Talkspace vs Brightside Online Mental Health Review
Today, mental health awareness is becoming increasingly accepted and with the rise of technology, more people are turning towards online services for mental health.
Unfortunately, with so many options available, it can be hard to know which one is right for you.
That’s why this review article will compare Talkspace and Brightside, two popular online therapy services which both provide prescription medications if necessary.
- When is Brightside better than Talkspace?
- Does your insurance cover Brightside too, or only Talkspace?
- Under what circumstances is Brightside a better choice and vice versa?
This review article will take you through how Talkspace vs Brightside works and answer any frequently asked questions.
See the table below with our list of pros and cons, as well as links if you want to learn more about Talkspace vs Brightside.
Please leave your review with your experiences using Talkspace vs Brightside at the bottom of this article. Your comment and total rating will update in the table below.
Best Talkspace Review w/ Video Buyer’s Guide
Brightside Health Review – Best Online Therapy for Anxiety and Depression
||$95 - $349||$100 Off First Month Brightside Meds + Therapy$50 Off First Month Brightside MedsBrightside Assessment + $100 Off|
Our Team’s Online Therapy Review Process
When you choose an online counseling service, you want the best advice and help.
Our staff reviews services honestly so that you can choose which one to use.
What sets us apart from other online reviews is that we record ourselves using the products and services.
When we review online mental health products, we do the following:
- We try out the services and write about what we find
- Mental health experts with credentials write and edit these reviews
- Third-party review compilation
- Keeping an eye on mental health and internet therapy research
- Emails sent to customer service are answered quickly and completely
- Reviewing Mental Health Services for more than 1,000 hours
- Openness about biases and affiliate relationships
- Comments give users a voice. Leave a review and your feedback below!
We hope that our reviews will help you find the right mental health provider quickly.
How Talkspace vs Brightside Works
In the beginning, when you first sign-up and get matched, Talkspace is different from Brightside for several reasons:
- Matching: Talkspace gives you choice in selecting your therapist whereas Brightside assigns you a therapist based on your answers from the initial quiz. Winner = Depends
- Sign-Up Suvey: Talkspace offers a more generic initial quiz while Brightside presents a comprehensive intake form that takes longer to fill out but is FDA-approved. Winner = Brightside
In the middle after you’ve selected your subscription plan. Talkspace differs from Brightside for several key reasons:
- Online Tools: Talkspace provides a journal among other tools, while Brightside provides online tools and measures your behavior every 2 weeks so you can track progress. Winner = Brightside
- Therapy / Counseling: Talkspace therapists often use CBT but also frequently use other techniques versus Brightside which almost exclusively uses CBT. Winner = Depends
The other major difference is that Brightside offers a prescription-only plan whereas Talkspace includes prescriptions only with a therapy subscription.
Talkspace vs Brightside Third Party Reviews
Better Business Bureau
Mobile App (Android + IOS)
1.2 / 5 from 124 reviews
1.08 / 5 from 91 reviews / B rating
4.5 / 5 from 20,000 reviews
1.6 / 5 from 27 reviews
Unknown score / A+ rating
4.5 / 5 from 2700+ reviews
No mobile app
Overall, third-party reviews are equal for Talkspace and Brightside. While Talkspace has many more negative reviews, they also have an app with many more positive reviews too.
Talkspace vs Brightside Key Points Table
Cost Per Month
$276 to $436
$95 to $349
Yes, many insurance providers
Yes but only a few insurance providers are accepted
Types of Therapy
Individual, Couples, Family
Individual therapy based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Provides Education and Tools
Included with every plan
Included with every plan
Live video, audio, messaging
Live video, messaging
Yes, $249 initial then $150 for follow-ups
Yes, $95 per month
- Accepts many insurances
- Track your results
What Does Talkspace vs Brightside Help With?
Various kinds of counseling are offered for various mental health concerns, including:
- Anger management
- Family conflict
- LGBTQIA+ matters
- Eating disorders
The popular types of Talkspace therapy and counseling for these problems include psychodynamic therapy, behavioral therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
Brightside offers CBT therapy and counseling to treat multiple depression or anxiety symptoms.
- Bipolar 2
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
How Do I Register At Talkspace and Brightside?
Both Talkspace and Brightside make their websites easy for you to register online.
Does Talkspace versus Brightside Accept Insurance?
Talkspace accepts many more insurance carriers while Brightside only accepts a few health insurances.
Winner = Talkspace
Does Talkspace or Brightside Prescribe Medication?
Both Talkspace and Brightside may prescribe medication but are not allowed to diagnose or prescribe controlled substances. ADHD and Xanax, for example, are not diagnosed or prescribed by either Talkspace or Brightside. Brightside, however, has a prescription-only plan for $95 whereas for Talkspace to access prescriptions you must also work with a psychiatrist ($249 initial and $150 for follow-ups).
Winner = Brightside
Questionable Claims And Common Complaints
The most common Talkspace complaint is being unable to get a refund early, you must complete the billing cycle, which can be a longer billing cycle than Brightside. Additionally, Talkspace is currently in a class-action lawsuit regarding data and privacy.
Brightside also doesn’t issue refunds before the billing period ends, however, Brightside on the other hand does not have many complaints.
Who Should Use Talkspace vs Brightside (Or Not)
Here’s how to think about whether or not you should use Talkspace or Brightside:
- Does your insurance cover both Talkspace and Brightside?
- Are you wanting to focus on improving your anxiety or depression?
If your insurance covers both Talkspace and Brightside, and you want to work on your anxiety or depression, Brightside is the better choice. Additionally, if you are just looking for prescriptions, Brightside is the better choice (for anxiety/depression)
However, if you want to focus on a different issue (like anger management, or LGBTQ issues) then Talkspace is a better choice. Additionally, if you are not a fan of CBT then Talkspace offers a broader spectrum of therapeutic approaches.
More Frequently Asked Questions
Talkspace vs Brightside Promo, Free Trial or Discount
Both Talkspace and Brightside offer $100 off your first month. For Talkspace use promo code SPACE while for Brightside the discount is applied automatically ($100 off for therapy plans and $50 for the medication-only plan). Neither service offers tree trials.
Talkspace vs Brightside Telephone # and Customer Service
- Talkspace: For any questions feel free to contact Talkspace at firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, the Talkspace department does not have a dedicated phone line to offer phone support.
- Brightside: Call Brightside at 415.360.3348. Email Brightside at email@example.com.
Choosing A Therapist
- Talkspace: Talkspace gives you a variety of choices.
- Brightside: Automatically assigns you a therapist based on your intake questionnaire.
Winner = Depends
Can You Switch Therapists at Talkspace vs Brightside
Yes, both Talkspace and Brightside allow switching without penalty. However, switching at Brightside takes a day or two longer.
How Fast Do Talkspace vs Brightside Therapists Respond
Talkspace therapists respond during weekdays within 24 hours while Brightside therapists respond slower around 24-72 hours.
Winner = Talkspace
How Long Are Talkspace vs Brightside Sessions
Both Talkspace and Brightside offer 30-minute sessions. Brightside allows you to purchase additional sessions while Talkspace does not.
Talkspace vs Brightside FSA / HSA
Both Talkspace and Brightside accept FSA and HSA.
Talkspace vs Brightside Reddit Reviews
Brightside does not have any Reddit reviews while Talkspace has mostly negative Reddit reviews.
Talkspace vs Brightside Refunds and Cancellations
Both Talkspace and Brightside do not offer refunds generally speaking.
What Are Competitors And Alternatives To Talkspace vs Brightside
Here are some online mental health and therapy competitors and alternatives to Talkspace and Brightside.
- 7 Cups
- Open Path Collective
Talkspace vs Brightside The Verdict
In conclusion, Talkspace and Brightside are both excellent options for people looking for online mental health and therapy services.
However, when making a decision between the two platforms, it is important to consider the type of coverage needed, what is being treated, and budget considerations.
- Talkspace offers more insurance options than Brightside; however, if you don’t have insurance or if your insurance doesn’t cover one of these services, then Brightside may be more cost-effective.
- Additionally, while Talkspace covers a wide spectrum of mental health issues, Brightside specializes in evidence-based treatments for anxiety and depression.
Depending on the needs of the individual user, either one could be a good choice – but overall when it comes to quality, Brightside is generally the better option.
If You’re In An Emergency Do Not Call Talkspace or Brightside
Online therapy may not be safe during a crisis. Call 911 for immediate assistance. This includes self-harm and others. If you’re contemplating suicide, call 988 for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline where there is 24/7 support.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline is 800-662-HELP (4357). The SAMHSA line is a free, confidential service that helps people with mental or substance abuse disorders find treatment and information 24/7/365.