Our children are growing up in an era unlike any other, facing unimaginable challenges just a generation ago.
From cyberbullying to academic pressure, body image issues, and the existential threat of climate change, our teens grapple with stressors that can profoundly impact their mental health.
Ignoring these problems or hoping they’ll ‘grow out’ of them is no longer an option. The mental health of our teens is a concern that parents can no longer afford to overlook.
Early intervention has been crucial in managing mental health issues, and with the rise of online therapy, help is now more accessible than ever before.
Online counseling is an innovative solution that provides timely, flexible, personalized support. It breaks down barriers such as stigma, time constraints, and geographical limitations, providing an accessible platform for teens to connect with licensed professionals at their convenience.
This guide will delve into Teen Counseling, an online therapy service specializing in teen services for parents and teens.
We aim to provide a detailed understanding of the platform’s approach, pros and cons, and pricing structure, arming you with the knowledge needed to make an informed decision about your teen’s mental health care.
Join us on this journey of discovery, and let’s take the first step together toward securing a healthier, happier future for our teens.
What Makes Teen Counseling Unique
Summary of the Service: Teen Counseling is an online therapy platform offering specialized, confidential mental health care for teens aged 13-19 and their guardians through text, phone, and video sessions.
What Makes Teen Counseling Unique: Teen Counseling stands out for its unique focus on adolescent mental health, providing affordable and flexible therapy options tailored to the needs of teens and their caregivers. The platform ensures confidentiality with separate private sessions for teens and guardians unless there’s a severe risk to the teen’s well-being.
With therapists experienced in various mental health specialties, Teen Counseling is adept at handling issues like depression, anxiety, relationships, bullying, trauma, coping skills, self-esteem, anger, and eating disorders.
However, Teen Counseling is not unique in many respects because it falls within the online therapy services offered by BetterHelp, its parent company.
BetterHelp and Teen Counseling share the exact pricing, have similar dashboards, and have some of the same therapists.
Best Features and Benefits of Teen Counseling
Teen Counseling offers a unique blend of features and benefits that set it apart.
- Quick Matching Process: Teen Counseling ensures a swift pairing with experienced therapists, streamlining the start of the therapeutic journey.
- Prompt Appointments: The platform guarantees appointments within days, reducing waiting times and providing timely assistance.
- Diverse Communication Methods: Teen Counseling offers text, phone, and video sessions catering to different communication preferences.
- Reasonable Fee Structure: With a relatively affordable pricing model, Teen Counseling makes professional help more accessible.
- Specialized Services: The platform addresses many teen-specific issues, from depression and anxiety to bullying and trauma.
- Confidentiality: Teen Counseling prioritizes privacy, offering separate sessions for teens and guardians unless there’s a severe risk to the teen’s well-being. However, see the ‘cons’ section below as privacy concerns exist with its parent company, BetterHelp.
- Customized Mental Health Support: Teen Counseling tailors its approach to meet each teen’s unique need, ensuring more effective support.
- Qualified Therapists: All therapists on Teen Counseling are licensed, trained, experienced, and accredited psychologists (Ph.D. / PsyD), marriage and family therapists (LMFT), clinical social workers (LCSW / LMSW), or licensed professional counselors (LPC).
While this information has been compiled from various sources, it’s always best to visit the official Teen Counseling website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Who is Teen Counseling Best For (And Who Should Not Use)
- Best For Teens Aged 13-19: Given its focus on adolescent mental health, Teen Counseling is ideal for teens within this age range who need professional therapeutic support.
- Best For Legal Guardians: Parents or legal guardians seeking guidance and support in understanding and managing their Teen’s mental health will find great value in Teen Counseling.
- Best For Those Seeking Flexible and Affordable Care: With diverse communication methods and a reasonable pricing model, the platform is perfect for those needing flexible and cost-effective therapy options.
- Not Recommended For Prescription Management: Those requiring prescription management may not find the necessary medical support on Teen Counseling as it focuses on therapeutic care.
- Not Suitable For Those Needing Insurance Coverage: Aeen Counseling does not accept insurance, so those relying on insurance coverage for therapy services may need alternatives.
- Not Ideal For Those With Unreliable Internet Access: Since Teen Counseling is an online platform, reliable Internet access is crucial for uninterrupted telehealth sessions.
For more detailed information, please visit the official Teen Counseling website.
Overall, we give Teen Counseling a Quality Score of (4.2/5)
Teen Counseling Pros and Cons
Teen Counseling is an online platform that provides specialized therapy for teens and their guardians, but like any service, it has pros and cons.
- Accessibility and Convenience: The platform provides easy access to qualified therapists through various communication methods.
- Flexible Therapist Selection: Users can choose a new therapist when switching.
- Variety of Communication Options: Teen Counseling offers video, phone, and live text sessions to suit different preferences.
- Online Journaling Tool: This feature allows users to maintain an online journal where therapists can provide feedback.
- Separate Teen and Parent Portals: Ensuring privacy, Teen Counseling offers different spaces for teens and parents to engage in therapy.
- Family Therapy Sessions: The platform allows for joint therapy sessions involving parents and teens.
- Therapists Cannot Diagnose or Prescribe Medication: As therapists are not licensed medical professionals, they cannot diagnose conditions or prescribe medication.
- Not Suitable for Court-Ordered Therapy: Teen Counseling is inappropriate for teens mandated to undergo therapy by a court order.
- Cost Considerations: With no insurance coverage, affordability may be a concern for some.
- BetterHelp Provides More Tools and Similar Services for the Same Cost: Users could sign up for BetterHelp instead for the same price and get access to free classes and groups.
- Does Not Accept Insurance: The platform does not accept insurance, while payment can be made with FSA or HSA funds,
- Impersonal Nature of Large Company: Some users feel that patient outcomes are not prioritized due to the company’s large-scale
- Limited Replies with Live Chat: Not all therapists on the platform may reply slowly.
- Unclear Pricing Until Sign-Up: The exact cost of therapy is not disclosed until the sign-up process.
For more information, please visit the official Teen Counseling website.
How do I Sign Up for Teen Counseling?
Signing up for Teen Counseling is a straightforward process designed to match teens and their guardians with the right therapists based on their seeds.
- Visit the Website: Go to the Teen Counseling website.
- Click on ‘Get Started’: This button is typically located at the top right corner of the homepage.
- Answer the Questions: You’ll be asked questions about your needs and concerns. This information helps the platform match you with the most suitable therapist.
- Provide Basic Information: Enter your state of residence, name, and email address. If you’re a teen, you must also provide parental consent.
- Wait for the Match: Based on your information, Teen Counseling will match you with a therapist within 24 to 48 hours.
- Check Your Email: You’ll receive an email notification once you’ve been matched with a therapist.
- Access Your Portal: Log in to your secure portal. Note that teens and their guardians have separate outlets and cannot see each other’s messages to the therapist.
- Begin Therapy: Schedule your therapy sessions. Sessions can occur via live chat, video call, or phone call.
- Payment: The exact cost of therapy is not disclosed until this point, but the price range is generally between $60 and $90 per week. Reen Counseling does not accept insurance, and surge pricing may apply in high-demand areas.
The entire sign-up process takes approximately 10 minutes. Once signed up, your membership includes four monthly live sessions and unlimited emails, texts, and messages to the therapist. You also get access to a journal and a schedule within your portal.
However, the design is also lacking in many respects as well. The user interface and sign-up process feel outdated.
Overall, we give Teen Counseling a Design Score of (3.5/5)
Teen Counseling Third-Party Reviews
- 3.5/5 from 41 Reviews – Trustpilot
- 4.7/5 from 3,800 Ratings – Apple App Store
- 4.5/5 from 1,200 Reviews – Google Play Store
Overall, we give Teen Counseling a Third-Party Review Score of (4.3/5)
How Much Does Teen Counseling Cost
- Standard Subscription: The typical price range for Teen Counseling is $60-$90 per week. This subscription includes four monthly live sessions, which can be conducted via video call, phone call, or live text. The sessions typically range from 30 to 45 minutes.
- Additional Therapy Sessions: Additional fees will apply if you need more than four monthly live sessions. The cost of these extra sessions will vary depending on the therapist’s rates and availability.
However, given that Teen Counseling markets itself for teens in addition to parents, we must lower our cost score as it’s less likely teens will pay at this price point.
Overall, we give Teen Counseling a Cost Review Score of (4.1/5)
Teen Counseling: Discounts, Financial Aid, Free Trials, Refunds, Pausing, Cancellations and Coupons
- Discounts: Generally speaking, Teen Counseling does not discount its services. For example, there are no one-day sales or seasonal discounts. However, Teen Counseling occasionally offers discounts via mental health podcasts and influencers who may provide coupon codes.
- Financial Aid: Recognizing some families’ financial barriers, Teen Counseling offers financial aid options for those in need.
- Free Trials: No free trials.
- Refunds: No refunds as the service is month to month.
- Pausing Therapy Sessions: You can pause your subscription for up to 3 weeks.
- Cancellations: With no long-term commitments, users can cancel their services anytime.
Remember, while keeping costs in mind is essential, the ultimate goal is finding the right therapeutic approach for your needs. Your mental health is priceless, and Teen Counseling is dedicated to making its services as accessible as possible.
Alternatives to Teen Counseling
If Teen Counseling isn’t the perfect match for your needs, other platforms offer specialized mental health resources and support for teens.
- BetterHelp: A user-friendly online therapy platform providing affordable and accessible mental health services. (source)
- Talkspace: A telehealth company offering talk therapy for teens, complemented by additional resources like an informative blog and mental health quiz. (source)
- Little Otter: Provides therapy services for kids up to age 14 and offers resources for parents and teens, including asking a child psychologist a question for free. (source)
- Amwell: A telehealth platform serving children under 18, offering medication management, psychiatry services, and therapy. (source)
Finding a mental health resource that resonates with you and meets your unique needs is essential. Each of these alternatives has its strengths and specialties, so take the time to explore and find the best fit for your mental health journey.
Is Teen Counseling Legit – Conclusion
In conclusion, Teen Counseling emerges as a robust online therapy platform that offers flexible, affordable, and accessible mental health care for teens aged 13-19. With its specialized focus on issues such as depression, anxiety, relationships, bullying, trauma, coping skills, self-esteem, anger, and eating disorders, it provides comprehensive support tailored to the unique needs of teens.
Its user-friendly interface allows therapy sessions via text, phone, or video, ensuring convenience and privacy. The platform’s matching process efficiently connects teens with qualified therapists with broad experience in various mental health specialties. While users may not choose their therapist initially, switching is readily available, making the platform flexible and adaptable to individual needs.
The pricing, ranging from $60 to $90 per week for four live sessions, provides value for money, considering the quality and range of services offered. Despite the lack of insurance coverage, the benefit of quick access to therapy sessions, easy scheduling, and the ability to pause or cancel therapy at any time adds to the platform’s appeal.
Most users surveyed found the service satisfactory, praising the therapists’ qualifications and the platform’s overall functionality. The platform’s commitment to privacy, demonstrated by its adherence to HIPAA regulations and transparent privacy policies, further underscores its reliability.
While competition exists in Wellnite and Teladoc, with Teladoc receiving higher user ratings, Teen Counseling holds its ground with its teen-specific focus and comprehensive mental health support.
In sum, for parents concerned about their teen’s mental health, Teen Counseling provides a trustworthy, convenient, and specialized platform to navigate this critical journey. By prioritizing accessibility, affordability, and quality care, it stands as a commendable choice in online teen therapy.