In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a significant increase in demand for online therapy services. However, finding the right online therapy provider that accepts your insurance can be challenging.
That’s why we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 8 best online therapy companies for services covered by insurance in 2023. Our list considers important factors such as affordability, user experience, and the quality of care offered – but importantly focuses on insurance.
The Online Mental Health Reviews team is qualified to write about the Top 8 Best Online Therapy Services Covered by Insurance in 2023 as we have extensive knowledge and experience in researching, comparing, and evaluating online therapy platforms that accept insurance.
Read on to find the best online therapy provider for you.
Brightside Health is one of the largest online therapy providers, offering a comprehensive range of mental health services. With more than 4,000 licensed therapists onboard, users have access to a diverse pool of mental health professionals. BetterHelp’s services are covered by most insurance providers, making it a convenient and affordable option for therapy. They specialize in evidence-based therapy.
Talkspace is another popular online therapy provider offering mental health services via video and text chat. Talkspace offers both medication and online therapy and accepts insurance from all major carriers and claims to cover over 40 million Americans.
Amwell is a telehealth platform that provides access to therapists, psychiatrists, and other healthcare providers. The platform is covered by most insurance providers and offers affordable rates for mental health services. With Amwell, users can access mental health services from the comfort of their homes.
MDLive is a telehealth platform that offers counseling services for individuals and couples. The platform works with most insurance providers and offers affordable mental health sessions. MDLive is an excellent option for individuals who prefer to receive therapy through video chat.
Ginger is a modern mental health platform that provides access to therapists, psychiatrists, and coaches. The platform is covered by most major insurance providers and has affordable pricing options. Ginger’s app-based platform provides users with simple access to quality mental health services.
ReGain is an online therapy platform specifically designed for couples therapy. The platform is covered by most insurance providers and offers affordable rates for counseling sessions. ReGain’s licensed therapists specialize in relationship therapy, making it an excellent option for individuals seeking help with their relationships.
Cerebral is an online therapy provider that specializes in providing mental health services to individuals with anxiety and depression. The platform is covered by most insurance providers and offers affordable rates for mental health sessions. With Cerebral, users have access to licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and medication management services.
ThriveTalk is a teletherapy platform that provides access to licensed therapists and psychiatrists for mental health services. The platform is simple, affordable, and covered by most insurance providers. ThriveTalk’s licensed therapists specialize in providing quality mental health services to individuals and couples.
List of Best Online Therapy Services
But what if you’re paying out of pocket, or don’t have insurance? Here are the top online therapy services of 2023:
- BetterHelp: Known for its vast selection of licensed counselors, BetterHelp is one of the world’s largest and most well-known online therapy providers.
- Talkspace: A popular counseling platform accessible on mobile phones and desktops, Talkspace is known for its flexible plans and wide range of therapy programs.
- Cerebral: An online mental health service that focuses on providing personalized care, including medication management and therapy sessions.
- LiveHealth Online: Offers a variety of online consultations, including psychiatric visits and counseling to new and existing patients.
- Teladoc Health: Providing virtual medical and behavioral health services, Teladoc Health offers affordable and convenient care for patients.
- MDLive: A platform that offers video appointments and remote patient monitoring for mental health care, MDLive is accessible from anywhere in the world.
- Amwell: Providing a range of health care services, including mental health therapy, Amwell delivers telemedicine appointments available on demand.
- Open Path: A non-profit organization that offers affordable therapy and mental health care to patients and their families regardless of their financial situation.
- ReGain: Known for its couples-focused therapy programs, ReGain offers affordable therapy sessions to couples ranging from marriage counseling to communication skills improvement.
- Teen Counseling: A platform designed exclusively for teens, Teen Counseling offers one-on-one video sessions with licensed therapists who specialize in teen-specific issues.
Our Methodology: How We Reviewed the Best Online Therapy Services That Take Insurance
Our methodology for reviewing the best online therapy services that take insurance was thorough and rigorous.
We look at factors such as price, types of therapy offered, level of experience and credentials of the therapists, ease of use, customer reviews, and insurance options.
Based on this research, we narrowed down the top providers to Talkspace, Brightside, MDLive, and LiveHealth, which we recommend for anyone looking for online therapy that takes insurance.
Best for Communication Methods: Talkspace
If you’re looking for a platform that offers the widest variety of communication methods, then Talkspace might be the best fit for you. With over a million users and a secure messaging system, Talkspace allows you to connect with licensed therapists and communicate 24/7, improving your emotional well-being with or without insurance.
- Talkspace also offers communication exercises for couples therapy, giving couples the tools and strategies to communicate in healthy and effective ways.
- Talkspace’s messaging therapy lets you communicate with your therapist at your convenience, ensuring that you get the support you need on your terms.
- Talkspace offers video, audio, and text-based services
Best for Anxiety and Depression: Brightside
Best for Anxiety and Depression: Brightside is an online therapy service that provides virtual therapy and medication for people suffering from different forms of anxiety and depression.
They have licensed psychiatric providers and therapists who offer treatment plans and prescribe medication and consultations online, and users on Reddit speak highly of Brightside.
Brightside works with major health insurance providers to offer insurance coverage to over 50 million Americans.
5 Tips to Get Therapy Covered By Insurance
- Check your insurance coverage – Before booking a therapy session, it is important to check with your insurance company to confirm which providers are covered under your plan. You can do this by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or checking their website.
- Search for in-network providers – Once you have confirmed which providers are covered under your plan, you can start searching for in-network providers. You can use the provider search tool on your insurance company’s website or try a therapist database like Psychology Today.
- Ask for your therapist’s qualifications – It’s important to ask your therapist about their qualifications and experience before starting therapy. This will not only give you an idea of what to expect but also ensure that you are working with a qualified professional.
- Understand your insurance benefits – It’s important to understand your insurance benefits before starting therapy. This includes co-pays, deductibles, and any limitations or restrictions your plan may have.
- Advocate for yourself – If you encounter any issues with your insurance company, don’t hesitate to advocate for yourself. This may mean contacting your insurance company directly or working with your therapist to find a solution that works for you.
6 Benefits of Online Therapy Services
- Convenience: Online therapy offers the flexibility of receiving therapy from the comfort of your own home, without having to worry about commuting to appointments.
- Personal Space: The therapist can learn about a client by seeing their personal space. This can provide useful clues for therapy and treatment.
- Comfort: Online therapy offers a secure and private environment that can allow you to be more comfortable during your sessions.
- Cost-Effective: Online therapy services are generally affordable because therapists who offer their services online have fewer overhead expenses.
- Greater Resourcefulness: Online therapy provides access to a broader range of mental health resources and approaches.
- Time-Saving: Online therapy eliminates travel time, which means it can be more easily fit in between other appointments.
Best for Alcohol Use Disorder: Monument
Monument is a leading online alcohol treatment platform that offers personalized, affordable, and quality treatment options for people struggling with alcohol use disorder. It provides medication-assisted treatment, video calls with physicians, and community support to help cut back or stop drinking altogether.
Monument is convenient and customizable, providing an online telehealth platform that connects clients to professionals and helps change their relationship with alcohol. Monument is working to connect people with the support they need to end their fight with alcohol use disorder.
Best for Medication Management: Brightside
As mentioned above, Brightside is a telehealth company that offers online psychiatry and medication management services for various mental health conditions.
Best of all, the Brightside medication plan is one of the industry’s best at only $95 per month, whereas most other providers offer medication plans at $125+ for 1 session!
The company’s psychiatrists can provide ongoing medication management for conditions such as anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, bulimia, anorexia, and cognitive disorders.
Brightside’s network of board-certified doctors can prescribe medications for a wide variety of mental health conditions, including anxiety and depression. The platform accepts health insurance and offers virtual medical care for individuals, teens, and couples.
Based on customer reviews, Brightside is among the best online psychiatry services for medication management.
Why Is It Beneficial to Have Mental Health Care Covered by Insurance?
Mental health care can be expensive, but having it covered by insurance can make it more affordable and accessible.
- Insurance coverage for mental health care can help you receive the necessary treatment and support without worrying about the high costs.
- This means that you can focus on your recovery and well-being rather than the financial burden. Additionally, having this coverage can allow you to obtain a wider range of services, such as counseling or medication, to meet your individual needs.
Overall, having mental health care covered by insurance can provide you with the necessary resources and support to improve your mental health and well-being.
How to Find Free (or Affordable) Therapy
If you’re wondering whether your insurance is accepted by an online therapy provider, the first step is to check with your insurer. You can log into your online portal or call the number on the back of your health insurance card to confirm if your policy includes coverage for mental health services, including online therapy.
If you need additional help finding an affordable online therapy provider, there are resources available that can help you get started. Remember that seeking mental health support is a brave step towards healing, and finding the right provider is possible with a bit of research and support.
7 Tips to Know All About Online Therapy Services
- Be flexible with the format – Online therapy can offer a combination of messaging, audio, and video sessions. Being open to different formats can help you make the most of the experience.
- Ensure your therapist can see and hear you – Communication goes beyond just words. Make sure your device’s camera and microphone are working properly so your therapist can also pick up on your tone, facial expressions, and body language.
- Verify your therapist is licensed – Check that your therapist is licensed in the state where you live and that the website/platform you’re using is reputable.
- Use a HIPAA-compliant platform – Ensure that any online therapy service or platform you use is HIPAA-compliant to protect your personal information and maintain confidentiality.
- Try different therapists/services to find the right fit – Not all therapists or services might work for you, and that’s okay. Many online therapy platforms allow you to easily switch therapists if you’re not feeling a connection.
- Check your technology beforehand – Make sure your device and internet connection are working smoothly before starting a session to avoid technical issues.
- Consider the pros and cons of online therapy – While online therapy offers convenience and flexibility, it’s important to also consider potential drawbacks such as the ability to build rapport with a therapist.
Choosing the Right Service for Your Insurance Needs
If you’re struggling with mental health and looking for insurance coverage, choosing the right service for your needs is important. Here are some tips to consider:
- Look for an independent agent who can help you find the best coverage options.
- Check the company’s reputation and history, and make sure they have the financial strength to meet your needs.
- Consider the level of service they provide, including customer support and claims processing.
- Look for coverage that fits your specific mental health needs, and consider the cost and coverage options available to you.
- Consider in-person therapy instead of online therapy.
Remember to shop around, compare quotes, and ask questions to find the best insurance coverage for your mental health needs.
Using Your Insurance to Cover the Costs of Online Therapy
If you have insurance, it may cover the cost of online therapy just as it does in-person therapy sessions. Many states now require insurance providers to do so. To find out if your insurance covers your online therapy costs, contact your insurance company directly. This can help you save money and make therapy more accessible.
You can also search Zocdoc to find a therapist near you that’s covered by your insurance:
How Much Does Online Therapy With Insurance Cost?
Online therapy with insurance can cost between $0 to $299 per session, depending on your own insurance plan, coverage, and the platform you choose.
- Costs may vary based on the provider, location, and type of therapy you need.
- Some platforms offer therapy-only plans that start at $99 per month and can include virtual sessions with a licensed therapist or prescriber.
- It’s essential to check with your insurance provider to see what mental health services are covered under your plan.
You can also compare prices and browse provider options online to find an affordable and suitable option for your needs.
What if My Insurance Doesn’t Cover Online Therapy?
If your insurance doesn’t cover online therapy, there are still options available to you.
You can explore affordable sliding-scale online therapy cost options or look into low-cost therapy services offered by non-profit organizations. Some online therapy providers also offer financial assistance programs.
Additionally, some therapists may be willing to work out a payment plan with you.
Remember, seeking help for your mental health is important, and there are resources available to help you access the care you need.
What Are Signs My Child or Teen Could Benefit From Therapy?
If you’re wondering whether your child or teen could benefit from therapy, there are several signs to look for.
These signs include your child or teen frequently feeling sad, hopeless, worried, fearful, anxious, or angry, having difficulty concentrating or making decisions, exhibiting destructive or disruptive behaviors, experiencing extreme feelings, physical complaints, social isolation or regression, and changes in eating or sleeping habits.
If you notice any of these signs, it may be helpful to speak with your child or teen and let them know that you’re there to support them.
However, please note that many signs such as depression may not appear outwardly in obvious ways.
Remember, seeking therapy is a positive step toward improving mental health and overall well-being.
How to Find Online Therapy That Takes Insurance
If you’re looking for an online therapy company that accepts insurance, you have a few options.
- One way is to start by contacting your insurance company to find out if online therapy is covered and what kind of copayments or deductibles may apply.
- Another option is to research different online therapy providers that accept insurance. Some popular options include BetterHelp, Teladoc, Talkspace, and Amwell.
- Each of these services accepts a variety of insurance plans and offers virtual counseling sessions for individuals struggling with mental health issues.
Types of Insurance Accepted
If you are seeking mental health services, it is important to know the types of insurance that are accepted.
Generally, health insurance policies cover mental health services, including therapy and counseling. Some common types of insurance accepted include private health insurance plans, Medicaid, and Medicare.
Private health insurance policies vary in coverage and eligibility, so it is best to check with your insurance provider to determine your coverage for mental health services.
Additionally, some healthcare providers may offer a sliding-scale fee or other payment options for those who do not have insurance.
What Factors Should I Consider When Evaluating Online Therapy Platforms That Accept Insurance?
When considering online therapy platforms that accept insurance, there are a few factors that you should take into account.
- Firstly, make sure to research the credentials and qualifications of the therapist providing the service.
- It is also important to check if the therapy service covers your specific needs such as couples therapy or family therapy, as there are many different therapy approaches.
- Another key factor to consider is communication style and specialization.
- Do you already know mindfulness? Yoga and learning mindfulness can be the first step to better mental health.
- Finally, ensure that the therapy service accepts your insurance and finds out about any potential out-of-pocket costs.
By considering these factors, you can find an online therapy platform that meets your needs and provides the support you require.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Online Therapy Sessions
Online therapy is a convenient and effective way for people to access mental health services. Here are some common questions and answers about online therapy sessions.
What is online therapy?
Online therapy is a form of mental health counseling that is conducted through video conferencing, phone calls, or chat messaging. It allows you to connect with a licensed therapist from the comfort of your own home.
What conditions can be treated with online therapy?
Online therapy can be used to treat a wide range of mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, PTSD, and more. It can also be used for couples therapy and family therapy.
How long are online therapy sessions?
Online therapy sessions are typically around 30-45 minutes long. However, the length and frequency of sessions can vary depending on your specific needs and the therapist’s availability.
Is online therapy effective?
Yes, meta-analysis research1 has shown that online therapy can be just as effective as in-person therapy for many people. It can also be more convenient and accessible, making it easier for people to seek help when they need it.
How much does online therapy cost?
The cost of online therapy varies depending on the therapist and the platform you use. Some companies offer subscription packages, while others charge per session. Many companies offer a free consultation to get started.
Overall, online therapy can be a great option for people looking for convenient and effective mental health support.
Top 8 Best Online Therapy Services Covered by Insurance in 2023 Conclusion:
Finding the right online therapy provider can be challenging.
However, with our comprehensive list of the best online therapy services covered by insurance in 2023, you can easily find an online therapy provider that is affordable, accessible, and provides quality care.
Whether you prefer text chat, video chat, or telephone sessions, there is an online therapy provider on our list that will meet your needs. Don’t let mental health challenges prevent you from living your best life. Get started with an online therapy provider today.
We hope this Top 8 list of Best Online Therapy Services covered by Insurance in 2023 was helpful. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions or feedback. Also, we would love to hear any suggestions on mental health services, apps, or courses the Online Mental Health Reviews team should try next!
- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15228830802094429#.VI8vaCvF_hs. (n.d.). https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15228830802094429#.VI8vaCvF_hs
If You’re In An Emergency
In an emergency crisis, it may not be safe to wait for an online therapy appointment. If you need immediate help, please dial 911. If you are having suicidal thoughts, you can call the 24/7 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline by dialing 988.
For those struggling with mental health or substance abuse disorders, the National Helpline of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) can provide help and information 24/7, 365 days a year. You can reach this confidential service at 800-662-HELP (4357).